Dear Arpeggiator, I would love to use you

Hello all,

I have real problems getting the arpeggiator to work on the Monomachine. I mean, it works when I play notes on the Trig Keys, but I just have no idea how to program this into the sequencer.I have tried programming patterns with many different chords in one pattern,(the manual clearly states that chords are mandatory) and have also tried setting steps for it (the green LEDs). It also doesn’t have anything to do with pitchless/trigless trigs, note offs programmed or anything, I have tried ALL of this!
The manual doesn’t help me either.
Please, PLEASE, if you can, provide me with a step-by-step rundown of how you are programming Arpeggios.
Really, more than highly appreciated…
Can’t believe this is a problem…

Looking forward to your help.

what are your arp settings and how do you create chords?

surprised too … it’s always been pretty straightforward imho, but i’ll try to help.

first, to get the obvious out of the way: when you check the arp page, the arp is NOT off, correct?

…anyway, the basics:
[ol]
[li]clear your kit, clear your pattern, start with a blank slate 1-bar pattern. [/li]
[li]load a synth into T1.[/li]
[li]set up an arp with all default settings, EXCEPT in SID mode so it runs continuously. all green steps in the arp itself.[/li]
[li]in the mnm’s main sequencer, place a single regular trig on the first step.[/li]
[li]hold the trig button down and hit the down arrow so a blank space for a second note appears in the display. [/li]
[li]while still holding the trig, now use the right arrow to make that blank space indicate +2 (or something other than blank)[/li]
[li]hit play and you should hear the synth’s arp play back and forth between the 2 notes. [/li]
[/ol]

2 Likes

Hello all and thanks for the answer!
I create chords by entering them in the manner dubaphonic describes… Hold the trig key for the step and use the arrow buttons.

Not at home now but I’ll check your description when I am back, thanks a lot already dubathon.
Is it so that Arpeggio has to be set first before entering the chords, or doesn’t this play any role?
i.e., are steps 3 and 4-6 exchangeable?
I might have gone wrong there then, but it would seem a bit strange to me.
anyway , thanks already!

I hope manifold you got the arpeggiator on the Monomachine after all this time because I never did. My experience is the same as yours/

I followed follow the manual and the instructions above but no arp.
The arp on my Octatrack work fine.

I had trouble getting the arp to work when I first got my MNM too. But trust me, you’ll get it, and when you really get it, you’ll be very very happy you did.

In addition to the instruction dubthonic wrote, Make sure your TRIG SELECT button is set so all three lights are on.

It is possible to record chords in live record mode by pushing multiple keys at once.

Once you come to grips with how to get the arp running, you start turning off steps within the arp editor (via the trig keys). And then try playing with turning off what the arp re triggers (amp, filter, LFO). These obscure sounding things is what makes the arp on the MNM so special, and can really be fun (and sometimes frustrating) to play with.

1 Like

I am very much in love with MnM’s ARP options when it comes to drum synthesis. It is worth playing with the OFFSET setting and really put more trigs with some trigless trigs between them. It’s really like a separate sequencer within the internal one (quite basic).

1 Like

chords in sid mode, other modes dont need chords

i betting you’re not understanding the different modes

key, add, sid

1 Like

You must have magic hands Freefall. I pulled out the MnM after reading the two posts on my comment and the arp just worked.

Rady, your suggestion about using the arp for drums works very well.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

and there I was about to play League of Legends…

1 Like

Thanks for that point Clunky. I am experiencing with the difference now.

1 Like

yes tladb i got it to run, so much in love with it!
dont know where i went wrong, but theres so much to explore with the arps, im glad i figured it out!

1 Like

This post helped unlock the key - I’ve had my MnM for almost two years now, and never really understood how the arp worked - just made changes and hoped for a happy accident. But now I’m starting to get it. I think my confusion lay with how the trigs worked on the arp track. It’s in the manual, but it just didn’t click until I tried the suggestions here. Thanks! I’m starting to see what the fuss is all about now.

1 Like

how can you guys own a Mono for so long without touching the Arp, which is the best feature! pfft

What gave you the impression that we haven’t touched the arp?

My favorite use of the mono arp is on drums.

2 Likes

The Monomachine ARP is a great sequencer within the sequencer. Apart from the more obvious, you can also do things like inbetween steps (i.e. double time!) and polyrythms (well, kinda)… It’s great for drums, yes. (Another cool trick for drums is an LFO on the pitch page, especially on higher settings… Talk about glitchin’…)