De Profundis - Felt piano and electronics

De Profundis is the name of this piano and electronics piece, where I employ a few extended piano techniques: Setting felt between the strings and the hammers of the piano you get a muted very soft sound, maybe a little bit distressing but very intimate and delicate, of the arpeggios at beginning of the video. The main melody, played hitting the strings with a screwdriver :-), is conversely bright and sharp. I also play a rhythmic ostinato muting the strings with my hands.
Synths and audio effects complete the track, always choosing very organic sounds that mix well with the piano. I have used 2 Deluge sounds from the Boards of Deluge #1 soundpack, for the second melody and for bass (with a tremolo effect applied with Logic). I also used 2 beautiful plugins from Felt Instruments, doubling the piano arpeggios with Lekko and the main melody with Jasno.

6 Likes

Very much like an early 70’s film theme to me - getting Get Carter type vibes with the screwdriver on piano action. Nicely done!

1 Like

Very nice work! Piano experimentation married with some electronics - right up my alley automatically!

1 Like

I don’t know this film. I will have to take a look!. Thanks!

1 Like

Fantastic!

1 Like

Thanks! Mixing piano and electronics is also my obsession lately