Dawsome Myth - interesting new VST

I like Dawsome stuff, but this one seems really interesting. drop audio and it will be re-synthesised, granular etc etc…

• Advanced organic re-synthesis based on machine learning.
  • More than 700+ presets created by more than 10 sound designers and artists.
  • Intuitive modular system.
  • Trainable resonators (by dropping a sample).
  • Virtual analog filters.
  • Creative midi effects.
  • Full MPE support.
  • Build-in tutorial system.
  • Powerful and innovative randomisation system.
  • Intuitive modulation system.
  • Supports MTS-ESP for microtonality.

Very generous 90 day unrestricted demo so give it a go!

Dawesome Myth | Tracktion

4 Likes

Resynthesis does seem to be the next logical step from / new buzzword to replace Granular with Synplant, Visco, and now this. From a sound design point of view I’m all for some that that can turn my samples into 88 keys without resorting to multiple samples, while adding further creative scope with it.

2 Likes

This looks interesting… glad they’re not calling the technology “A.I.”

If it aint AI, I don’t buy! :grin:

They say its, not surprisingly, based on machine learning. Machine Learning was THE thing before the AI hype. And I am no computer scientist but I bet most AI out there are nothing more than better machine Learning applications with larger datasets.

1 Like

I’m the opposite :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is true. All commercially accessible “AI” is machine learning. AI is a marketing term.

1 Like

I was as interested as overwhelmed by the UI and the language in the features. But I think I get it now.

Sure… That’s why it’s organic. :roll_eyes:
Also, they forgot to mention the Blockchain.

Anyone wanna buy my non fungible sound pack?

:money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Ooohhh, missed this!

I’m back in now. Nutritional benefits.

One of Dawesome’s strengths (so far at least) has been to make complex sound design highly visual and accessible, which for me is a niche not that well served in the synth scene (moving through tones via a colour wheel anyone? ) There’s a simplicity to their early synths that’s very appealing, especially for people like me who are basically allergic to sound design.

The resynthesis model in this one is just a little bit… strange. From my early tests, the sounds I get with like for like samples are inharmonic, grainy, and honestly not super nice. The marketing almost makes it sound like you drop a sound in and that’s the end of it - but it’s not quite the drag & drop simplicity implied by the promo materials. I just watched a stream with Peter and he distanced it as being a sample playback machine, which is a little different to how it’s marketed. Novum is different because you can get interesting sounds without using the detailed tools which makes it super powerful, quick, easy, fun etc.

I think where this works well is a) you can throw longer samples into it (not true of all samplers) and b) it can use that sound as an exciter for the physical modelling sounds. That to me seems to be its strength, and it’s real advantage is in how you can then use that as an exciter for the oscilators and filters underneath that, almost to the point that your original sample might even just sound like noise. Perhaps the selling point of this should be a little narrower, but for that use case I think it’s really good. Maybe they could rein the marketing back a tad on the sample point and emphasise the physciial modelling aspects.