DAWless Midi volume control <- Kenton Host -> Korg Nano 2 = bugs

I am now experiencing T2 issuing no sound no matter the sample neither chromatically nor the velocity pad.

T1-6 will issue no sound from the velocity pads. T1 & 3-6 will play chromatically and work normally via sequencer.

Now I need to resolve this. How I got there…

I programmed the Korg Nano2 to the respective T1 midi channel and the fader to midi cc 7. With the KN2 hooked up to the Kenton USB host, no action on the m:s, midi programming on other banks of the KN2 operate other devices properly.
After attempting to operate the volume via KN2, T2 went silent. Unplugging everything, still silent.

A) how do I get T2 back
B) velocity pads, need em back
C) external dedicated volume control. Need it.

Thank You
:tongue:

While trying to sort out why T2 was Silent I turned off the Velocity pads in the Menu.

Still no sound coming out of T2 no matter what Iv tried so far.

Check the settings > audio menus, maybe something is disabled there. Also check your volume on each track (VOL + DIST knob).

Pad menu is FUNC + BACK, that’s where you enable/disable the velocity (FIX = OFF means that they are velocity sensitive, FIX = a number means that the pad is fixed velocity at that value).

There’s volume control per track, and global volume control via the MAIN VOL button. There’s also gain for the USB audio in the menus. So tons of volume control options.

Also, you can factory reset the unit without losing your samples, though it does wipe your patterns, so back those up first. If none of the above works.

Not sure what you are trying to do with the MIDI controller, care to elaborate about your goals in using the NanoKontrol2? I have one of those also, so I’m curious. Or do you have a different KORG Nano device?

Major user Error while trying to get the Korg to work and sorted out the volume through the Data knob. What a knob eh?

Still moving forward, MIDI Control.

I would like to be able to use my Korg to modify each track volume on the fly without switching to each track to adjust.

Iv not done this type of mapping much before DAWless. My other devices seem to learn pretty easy. Learning to format from the Korg platform to communicate to the Elektron accurately is where I am currently at.

Look at the MIDI implementation guide, it is Appendix A of the Model:Samples manual. It lists all the MIDI CC values that the Model:Samples both sends and receives. Track Level is CC 95, and Volume + Distortion is CC 7. So you’ll need to set the KORG device to send those MIDI CC values.

Which KORG nano device are you using? I have the NanoKontrol2, and I can definitely see the appeal of having the faders mapped to volume for tracks 1 - 6 on the Model:Samples, so let me know if you get that working and I might try it too!

I’m also working on using a Korg NanoKontrol2 with the Model:Samples.

I thought I could connect the controller directly to the Samples’ USB port, but this does not seem to work (controller does not light up).

I saw aYoutube video where someone uses an Akai Midimix connected to an Akai Live–why wouldn’t this work similarly? Does the M:S not provide (enough) power thru the USB port to power a MIDI controller…?

So a MIDI host is necessary, to power the controller…?

Hey 2Crunchy, unfortunately this setup won’t work. I have both the Model:Samples and the NanoKontrol2. Neither device has a USB host function, which means that you can’t connect them directly via USB. You would need to add a device between them to perform the USB host duties. That could be your phone, a tablet, laptop, or dedicated USB host device (like an rPi or an off-the-shelf product). You can see OP in this thread is using the Kenton USB Host device in their setup, which is an off-the-shelf product.

The Akai MPC Live does have USB host functionality, which is why you can plug a USB only midi controller into it and it will work. At present, none of the Elektron boxes have this feature, hopefully they will in the future.

For your general understanding, this is related to how USB works in general, so it actually has nothing to do with MIDI or music devices specifically. All USB connections use a host-client architecture, where one device in the chain/network acts as the host, and all other devices act as clients. Any devices capable of being a USB host will check the network to see if there’s any other hosts already present, and if not, then that device will take over that role.

1 Like

Thx for your response (and patience!). Got a Host, got the Nanokontrol2 working to some extent (faders controlling volume, “M” buttons muting tracks, knobs controlling Reverb send for each channel on the M:S…fun!), but don’t know how to get the transport buttons and other buttons working.

In theory, the Nanokontrol2 should also be able to control other samplers like an MPC w/ 16 channels, and move from one set of faders (bank, or scene, or whatever it would be called), 1-8, to 9-16… I think this would be controlled by the “Track” Left and Right arrow buttons, but I don’t know yet how to set that up…

Of course this is easier to set up in a DAW w/ the Learn function; but with standalone samplers and using the Korg Editor software, it seems a bit more difficult…

Hmm, yeah I would expect the transport controls to just work, not sure what advice to offer there. What USB host are you using? Glad you got the rest of it working! Adding faders to the Model:Samples is chef’s kiss