Dave Mech - Jamuary #2 Octatrack + Xone PX5 & Xone DB4

Thanks for the advice :relaxed:
Very exciting and a bit scary but can’t wait at the same time!

Yeah using a dj mixer is really nifty for this type of stuff. It gives a lot of quick access and control to things. Especially the db4 with its flexible routing options.

Thanks again and looking forward to your output :+1:t2:

1 Like

This sounds so lovely.

You’re so proficient with the Digitakt. How are you liking the OT? What things on the OT that don’t exist on the DT are you enjoying the most?

For me, getting back full time into an Elektron with Kits (Parts) has been the most profound for my workflow and output.

1 Like

Cheers dude :heart:

Working more and more with Octatrack has been wonderful. Must admit it’s my to go elektron at this moment for the new music I’m currently making. DT will still be part of my live set though.

The things I enjoy the most that are missing from DT are:

• Making use of 3 lfo’s (and haven’t used the lfo designer that much even)
  • the live looping and real time mangling of loops in combination with scenes is mind blowing. I actually have you to thank for that as I use a setup for that based on on your description somewhere on this forum. When I read that it blew my mind how much you can do with it. It’s also an infinite source for new happy accidents and ideas.
  • modulating fx into extremes
  • the complete versatility of OT. Don’t have to use everything all the time but the options are there.
  • flexible routing with 2 stereo ins and the extra cue out. I love machines with flexible routing possibilities :slight_smile:

Also still things that I haven’t explored enough yet like slides. It’s really a gift that keeps on giving.

I think I could go on. DT is great for its focus and limitations. OT is great for its depth and flexibility.

Cheers

2 Likes

Would love to read this if you have a link!

1 Like

I’ve posted it a few times, originally here: Why do people not like Pickup Machines? - #25 by AdamJay

but most recently here: Loopers - #124 by AdamJay

2 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

So I recorded an new jam today. Glad with the recording, but the cameras decided to turn off half way through, so I solved it more or less but just so you know :wink: This time a bit more hypnotic. Tried to create a trip which resulted in just short of 11 minutes but I hope it’s worth the listen :slight_smile:

The routing I used here is as follows:

Percussion stuff

• Goes out of octatrack main out into Xone PX5 channel 1, hot.
  • PX5 channel gain up until the reds. The PX5 is an analog mixer and pushing the level compresses, adds warmth and a hint of saturation in a lovely way.

Synth drone

• From octatrack cue out into PX5 channel 2
  • PX 5 channel 2 send to internal FX + to external FX which in this case is Xone DB4
  • XOne DB4 channel 1 = fully wet delay
  • Xone DB4 channel 2 = fully wet reverb
  • Xone DB4 channel 3 = delay
  • Xone DB4 record out is set to headphone cue. So that’s why you see the headphone cue buttons lit and the channels down.
  • Xone DB4 record out back into Xone PX5 return.
  • PX5 main out into Xone DB4 (channel 4)
  • Xone DB4 to DAW for recording

Cheers!

6 Likes

The OT looks so tiny next to the mixers! Dream setup though! Keep on pumping!

2 Likes

Haha yeah the mixers are quite a bit bigger.
Cheers!

@DaveMech your music’s so solid! Props!

I don’t need an OT. But I sure want one now :metal: thanks bro, thanks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like