Dave Mech - Jamuary #2 Octatrack + Xone PX5 & Xone DB4

Scroll down to bottom for the latest jams
:point_down:

Hi Everyone and a happy New Year :slight_smile:

It’s Jamuary and finally going to participate :slight_smile: Won’t be able to upload a jam everyday but I’m going to post as many as possible.

Here’s the first one: A very deep dubby track with Dominion 1, Octatrack, and dual DB4 for a lot of dubby delays. Enjoy!

You can get the track here: Omega | Dave Mech

29 Likes

Really nice - love your use of delays…

1 Like

Nice one! And very interesting use of two mixers, too. You use them as FX units, right?

2 Likes

This made my earholes itch in my headphones.
deep dub space…
very bassy
love it

1 Like

This is really good Dave - right up
my alley.

1 Like

Very nice :slight_smile:
You definitely have a unique sound ID :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dave, you’re starting to make me like this Dub Techno shit.

5 Likes

Also very interested in the use of 2 mixers Dave, that’s some serious firepower.

1 Like

Thanks @vasidudu that’s always super nice to hear as I sometimes doubt that )

And thanks everyone glad you enjoyed this one.

@Andreas_R & @Cornish1999

So the routing is as follows:

The dominion is routed to track 8 of octa which goes to the Cue out into DB4 1. This input is routed to two channels. One with a bit of reverb and one with fully wet delay. The former is then routed to DB4 2. That input is routed to all four channels on the DB4 2 containing 1 subtle reverb and 3 delays. The main out of DB4 2 is then routed back into DB4 1 with another delay added. And then everything out to DAW for recording.

The main out of Octa is of course also routed to DB4 1.
DB4 is very powerful because of it’s flexible routing options and filter per channel (swicheable from EQ) so you can shape the sound before it reaches the delay/reverb for instance.

Cheers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

“Youre not that far from me, oh lord…”

1 Like

Thanks Dave, couldn’t even dream that up let alone wire it. Nice one

1 Like

Cheers Cornish . Mostly come up with these things because I’ve been focussing on few pieces of gear last couple of years. Really helps with going deep

1 Like

Sounds good Dave, thanks for sharing! I like the subtle crossfader usage for the little hi-hat “slurps”. You see a lot of wild crossfader usage so it’s nice to hear some more subtle uses. It fits the style of music too obviously :slight_smile:

1 Like

Damn, dual DB4 :heart_eyes: this sounds amazing. Nice work

1 Like

Cheers Airyck!
I’m actually modulating a subtle comb filter on the chord stab with various settings to create / emphasize certain harmonics :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool! I wish more devices had comb filters. It sounded like “hi hat slurps” was the best I could describe it. I love trying to describe electronic music with words :joy: .

“You know, that one track, it’s like, boom tsk boom tsk”?

Thanks for sharing either way.

My youngest son just turned one. Edging closer to him being independent enough for me to have time time to do more than fiddle with my studio. A few year hiatus from music making has been a real test of my mental stability. I’ll share some here too when I do!

Keep up the exploration sharing! It reminds me to get back to it sooner than later.

1 Like

Haha yeah sometimes sound-words work better than describing the sound :smiley:

Cool and certainly share :+1:t2: I’m going to be a father too in about 5 months so will have less time as well haha. Really hope I can squeeze in some hours here and there though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Congratulations! It’s simultaneously like burning alive in car fire and floating in sea of pure liquid love :stuck_out_tongue:

The first few months will be brutal. Plan nothing during those times haha. Once they don’t need 24/7 monitoring you slowly start to get time for yourself again.

If there is any advice I can give it’s this:
Be kind first and foremost, but don’t go easy on them. Kids (even 1 year olds) instinctively know how to avoid doing things they don’t want to do. But it’s a disservice to them to let them get away with that. They are tough and they can do more than they let on. You’re are preparing them for independence. Make sure they’re ready.

Anyway! Back to the topic at hand.

Dual DB4’s sounds expensive but it looks like some serious fun!

I’m definitely feeling the DJ mixer for live performance more. I’ve DJ’d for many years but never combined the two. It makes sense with all the built in filters, fx, and performance features.
I’ll have to consider options when I start performing again.

2 Likes