Dataline vid - Supynes 19

Next time.
:disappointed_relieved:

Just saw this amazing video from Cenk. Never seen anyone so skilled at playing the Elektron gear! :open_mouth:

I have similar gear, OT, DN, AR and AH, plus some other effect boxes I’d like to incorporate in my setup.

I’m just wondering how he’s connecting it all together. I assume the A and B inputs of the OT are used for the output of the AR and DT. And assuming he’s using them both in stereo, that uses up all the input channels. Which means that if he’s CUEing anything to the effects, he can’t return it to the OT. At least I see some channel lights blink, meaning that they are being sent to the CUE.

So possibly he has a mixer somewhere where he combines the dry signal from the OT with the stuff that’s sent to the effects…?

Or possibly he’s not even using the CUE, and just has the effects straight on the AR. It sounds at least to me that he’s only using the tape delay on the drums.

Just curious… how he’s doing it, how would you guys connect a setup like this?

4 Likes

Can be done without a mixer. Most of the stuff here has external inputs, I guess everything is cascaded/daisychained.

2 Likes

Anyone know what case he’s using (or one that’s the same size)?

I had these EXACT questions, one by one. Just wanted to thank you for the thread.

Maybe tagging @Dataline helps and he will answer your questions… :grinning:

1 Like

Have a look at his bandcamp,youtube etc… He has videos where he shares details on how he works.
I’m always amazed by his gain staging skills, not so easy to dial in just right !

3 Likes

1 Like

From the YT comment:
“Thanks! The case there was not mine. I was playing at couple of stages, the organisation lent me the case to be able to carry setup around easier.”

1 Like

Check https://www.thomann.de/casefactory.html

I believe the rytm is in mono. Once heard him say that. With this setup there is a sacrifice to make.

2 Likes

Makes sense for a live rig. Stereo doesn’t translate well unless the PA has been built for that.

2 Likes

Yes. Managing the stereo field in live situation is not really doable/necessary I guess. Although you want at least one effect chain to be in stereo, like the main delay/reverb

1 Like

can you leave the order of trig locks “remixed” on PART2, and then record again into the audio buffer a completely different song, and the trigs will now replay what’s in the new pattern buffer one, and you just keep those same locks as last time? i’m blowing my stupid head all the time with this little grey box…

like you could have all 3 parts pre setup with different trig locks, and the OT will change the audio in those locks when you record the buffer again? holy shit…

have you seen anyone DJ with the OT and an EFX send/return? I’d like to see someone smarter than me plug this into a Pioneer DJM and “remix” tracks live, anyone seen this done? I don’t have a DJ setup as i’ve dedicated my time toward learning to compose, and i’m seeing some stupid possibilities with a DJ setup now…