Darkwave/Cyberpunk Style Music

So I feel like Elektron gear could easily appease these genres. This post is not limited to Elektron gear. I know people have all kinds of awesome setups!

If you are not familiar, it’s kind of like Synthwave but more Industrial?

Akira/Ghost in the Shell vibes…

Here is a fan made video of a Pertubator song (Death Squad):

Or something like Altered Carbon style music (more synthwave like):

Does anyone make this kind of music? If so please share!

Or share what you listen to that matches these genres as well :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Love this stuff.
Perturbator, Magic Sword, Dan Terminus, Carpenter Brut, Daniel Deluxe, Waveshaper
Would love to see some videos making this flavor with Elektron. That’s the exact direction I want to go but I am early on in my journey…

1 Like

Magic Sword is an absolute hidden gem. Thanks for pointing that out!

Yea I would love to get to this level eventually. My initial goal with getting into electronic music was exactly this, but it’s more difficult than I anticipated heh

Hoping others have made progress on this journey!

I’m trying to get there, but makeup and vanity set owns some elektrons I’m pretty sure!

5 Likes

That is some thicc sound! Thanks for sharing :tada:

I feel like a a nice mix of elektron gear could do this no problem

OT/DN, DT/A4, etc…

1 Like

Does this Incredibles meme count? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I8HZ0tlkxA

1 Like

Probably a shade darker than darkwave, but this guy is a big Elektron user.

4 Likes

“Access to arasaka” in a cinematic/glitch style.
“Scandroid” in synthwave style.

The first one is an all time absolute favourite of mine…

3 Likes

I’m afraid so…

1 Like

A game release in March “Cyberpunk 2077” has a dope OST that was already leaked and has some good cyberpunk music, here is the track from the trailer.

2 Likes

CD Projekt Red always delivers a highly immersive experience. Cannot wait! Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Yeah I know he owns a Rytm / OT and maybe an A4 probably cycles it in and out of his setup ! But lately I’ve been trying to do those overdrive distorted guitar chug synths on the digitone , hopefully will get there soon / it pairs great with rytm drums and then I run just the rytm kick into OT and add plate reverb ! Might try and cook something up today , and always down to share my synthesis. :alien:

2 Likes

live or die !

2 Likes

Here’s one created using Analog Keys and Rytm used in a slight unorthodox way. AK for most drum sounds and melodies AR for sample mangling https://soundcloud.com/murkla/transfered

2 Likes

This is pretty dope

Thanks for the tip on Makeup and vanity set. Good stuff and all some of it is slower paced and a little easier to study.

While not exactly dark, This has some good 80s synthwave ish vibes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjZcBcODQ-I&t=260s

I also like his DT, DN Peak setup. This is exactly what Im headed towards I think. I love running big fat unison on the DN so having something like a Peak would add some voices back into the mix. Plus it would be fun to have a bunch of knobs… It also makes me wonder if A4, AR, & Peak would be a good combo for this style. I find myself playing the DN the most but I think a large part of it is the form factor.

A nice video showing the setup. I learned a lot from this one.

1 Like

This feels very polished. OST like. Nice!

Also welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Huh, I’ve watched a ton of these videos. Never knew who it actual was :joy:

I do think the DN is very capable. I would sample as many of the drums as possible to have some really rich tracks if you decide to get a DT. Or just get some nice samples for the DT. Either way works. The A4 I think would absolutely shred at Darkwave. If I can’t get good sounds out of GRID in Bitwig I might consider it. But as I am learning the DAW (my first one) I am finding some cool results with GRID (pretty much Modular).