"Dälek Soundscapes" pack - any opinions?

I couldn’t find dedicated topics as it exists for all other packs

Can anyone share some feedback / thoughts on this pack?

I’m mostly interested in packs that provide good ready-to-go kits (with scenes / perf etc.), but I don’t want to use samples-only packs (like e.g “Run The Track” and maybe some others).
What’s the “balance” here?

Also - there’s a lot of packs that do use internal analog engines, but here the issue is that most of them were released in pre 1.30 firmware era so they’re not utilizing all the machines that were added few years back. How does it look like with this pack?

Thanks!

I love the Dälek sample packs and use them all the time, but I never actually loaded the .sysx, because I didn’t own an AR when I got the pack.

So thanks for reminding me that I should do that! I’ll load it up tonight and see how it works with 1.70.

As for the samples… like I said, I’ve used them across a lot of my music, and I really love them—but then I was a big Dälek fan long before I’d ever heard of Elektron Music Machines Ltd, so that may be very subjective.

Plusses: Plenty of interesting, evolving sounds with a lot of movement to them. Good for atmospherics, basses, whines, etc. They can lend a song a very industrial NIN/Songs of Faith & Devotion type feel.

Minuses: Many of the samples are extremely harsh, especially on the high end, which can sometimes be a chore to tame. For that reason I find they’re easier to work with in the DT, because it has the extra filter page compared to the AR.

1 Like

Great - please share! Thanks

2 Likes

I love this pack too, but only use 'em on DT too. And I also forgot to try them on AR. On my to do list now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I loaded up the .syx file, and it looks like it’s mostly just a demo project meant to show off the sample pack. No separate Sound files that I could find, other than the ones in the 4 kits (one in each project). But the kits are pretty cool.

PATTERN/KIT 1
has 2 Scenes, 3 Performances, and 7 Sounds:

BD
SD Hard
Bass Synth (BD Sharp)
A drone sample
An atmospheric sample
HH Closed
HH Open

PATTERN/KIT 2
has 1 Scene, 2 Performances, and 12 Sounds:

BD Classic
SD FM
RS Hard
Clap Classic
BT Classic
A tonal sample
A chord sample
A melodic sample
CH Classic
OH Classic
Another drone sample
CB Classic

PATTERN/KIT 3
has 2 Scenes, 2 Performances, and 8 Sounds:

BD Silky
SD Natural
BT Classic
A drone sample
An atmospheric sample
HH Basic
OH Classic
Cy Ride

PATTERN/KIT 4
has 2 Scenes, 1 Performances, and 8 Sounds:

Tuned Kick/Bass (BD Silky layered with a bass sample)
SD Natural layered with a SN sample
Bass synth (BD Sharp)
A drone sample
A sample loop
CH Metallic layered with a sample
Noise (used as an OH)
Cy Metallic

I’ll post some of the noodlings I made in a bit once I save the best takes from last night’s recording session.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for such a detailed breakdown!!
Happy to hear your jams on it

1 Like

Here’s a one-pattern song I made using the 2nd Kit (“Slayed”) as a jumping off point. No post-processing, just right out of the deck and into the Model 12.

I changed a bunch of the Sounds and used a few different samples from the pack, but the Performances and Scenes are all the same, other than one Scene I copied over from (I think) Pattern 3.

Still needs a key change with some big sentimental toms at the end.

1 Like

…hm, actually I think it’s more based on Kit 2 (“Slayed”) with Performances and Scenes from Kit 4 (“Delays”).

1 Like

It’s a pretty groovy sample pack. Nice for adding subtle noise textures to facemelting Berghain techno Rytm standards.

2 Likes

Here’s a loop I made ages ago using Dälek samples layered on top of synth drums (such a cool feature):

2 Likes