Cycles over USB to iPad Pro -> no sound from speakers

On iPadOS 13 I haven’t had any issue with getting the audio in, but the OS seems to also think the cycles is a capture device and automatically routes the general iPad output to it. It’s … strange.

So by default when I hook up the cycles there’s no audio out on the iPad. I can open command center (?) and see that it’s automatically switching to airplay music thinking the elektron is some sort of output. The weird thing is the option to reselect the iPad for audio (ie disable airplay) disappears / isn’t there … the only workaround I have at the moment is to hook up bluetooth headphones and select them via that menu (I happen to have a pair of low latency ones so it’s not so painful). I got a cheap USB DAC and I think that will help for now, but it would be so much simpler if I could just use the speakers.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? I also posted on the apple forums here.

I have the same problem. as soon as any interface is connected that has outputs, the internal outputs of the ipad are no longer selectable in aum. ironicly that presents a way of actually routing audio into the M:C which officially doesn’t have that feature!audio from aum is audible through the headphone out of the M:C- still there is no way to regulate levels - its way queiter than the M:Cs internal audio. that leads me to the second problem: the input in aum always clips and it does not react to the M:Cs mastervolume…
also even if i connect my regular interface, i have no option to select it as long as the M:C is also connected via usb… making ios usb prettymuch senseless for me. found that post where someone wrote it works like a charm with their ipad pro, would like to know how!
EDIT: when directly connected to a comuter as an interface the clipping output problem still persists. how can i attenuate that?
EDIT2: after rtfm i was able to at least mute the internal sound and boost the volume of the recieved sound (at least there are 4 steps of boost 0 6 12 and 18) that is already better! still sound only out of the M:C though and no way to turn down the signal arriving in the ipad/mac

USB audio on the M:C is generally problematic and I ended up giving up and using analog out, which is much cleaner and responds to the master volume knob (USB doesn’t).

1 Like

This is 100% my biggest gripe about IOS audio. I’ve done a ton of research into it and there is no way to connect an audio interface to an iPad Pro and use the interface for input only and monitor/playback the input sounds from the iPad’s internal speakers. When an audio device with input and output is connected, the output signal chain is completely hijacked by the external device. There are some posts on the AUM/audiobus forums discussing this and it is apparently a non-negotiable limitation of IOS until Apple releases a method of picking between multiple available hardware audio outputs.

It’s pretty disappointing :frowning:

1 Like