Cycles multitracks on Ableton

Is the solution you’re giving me to turn down the volume?

for external instruments, yes, you can setup your things like this, as many Midi tracks with External Instruments - muted - for every midi track, Audio track with either Audio In from the audio interface or one of the tracks Pre Fx:

using audio from individual External Instruments making sense only of you have separate audio source for each midi track, like separate instruments, what you get with M:C is just doubling the audio

I still can’t find the solution.
How do I use cycles by working on each individual track separately on Ableton?

afaik you can’t, models don’t have multitracking options, there’s no individual outs or overbridge, so the only way you can have multitracking is by muting the tracks on the M:C and recording every track individually.
another way you can have two mono tracks is hard pan some tracks to the left and some to the right, get two mono sources and mix them later as two tracks.

unless someone knows another way?

1 Like

There must be a way. Ableton should control cycles as if you were controlling cycles with your hands using the cycles pads. Nothing overlaps and everything sounds good. It will need an application I suppose. But it needs to be developed. Because you can’t work like that.
It is a work tool. Not a toy. I don’t care about all the cycles tracks playing on a single midi channel. I need to work each track differently and with different plugins.
And I can’t even sample individual sounds and then assemble them on Ableton as was done in the early 90s with Cubase.

don’t know what to tell you, that’s the machine and that’s the way it works, you can submit a feature request to the feature requests thread or to Elektron directly but at the moment that’s how the device works.

4 Likes

@alechko Not sure I’ve followed all the detail, but this sounds like a request for Overbridge on Model:Cycles (essentially) … have I understood right ?

yep, or other multitracking capabilities, maybe for a Handle V2 with individual outs :mechanical_arm:

3 Likes

Thank you. I will send a request. However, it is absurd that it works like this and that in 3 years no user has felt the need to work in multitrack. There is nothing on the internet about it. In 3 years I have been the only one with this need. Of a function that is basic to producing music.

what can I say except I’ve heard countless bangers made on M:C with stereo out only…

4 Likes

Where did you hear them? Live? Or on YouTube.

youtube, didn’t see much music live lately unfortunately :frowning:

check out this thread:

On YouTube it’s great for becoming an influencer.
But to produce in the studio it’s different… you need multitrack.

1 Like

In the elektron world, that more-than-two-channels solution is overbridge … which is a feature of a lot of the boxes … but older hardware does not have it, and the two cheaper models do not have it.

not everyone on youtube is an influencer, many people here on the forum make awesome studio-grade music with only two outs, but if you like to multitrack you can only record tracks individually or get a device like one of the digis or higher that support overbridge or have individual outs

3 Likes

I think you’ll find that the majority of hardware synths/grooveboxes out there do not export stems or multichannel audio into a DAW.

Overbridge is one of those “pro” features that you get in the Digi line and higher, rather than the entry-level Models.

There is Underbridge - which is a third-party tool designed to automate the process of importing each track individually (rather than multi-tracking) from the M:C/M:S and OP-Z; but I have no experience with it, and I’m not sure what a license costs.

https://bklronin.github.io/underbridge-pro-doc/index.html

EDIT: there’s a thread here:

5 Likes

Yeah, the models series have always been stereo out only as they’re the Elektron budget line. Even the digi boxes only have stereo outs and require Overbridge to get separate outs for each channel. I’m not sure how you thought you’d get multi tracked audio out of a pair of quarter inch jack outputs, but that’s not something that is physically possible with that type of connection. Unfortunately, no feature request is going to be able to update the physical characteristics of the device, I’m afraid. And if the Models line was capable of having Overbridge functionality, I’m sure they would have added it by now. It would certainly bump sales of the line!

1 Like

Its not that no one realised that the model::series has no multitrack. It’s stated in the technical specifications. That’s one of the limitation on the cheaper Elektrons people either work around them or just not use them. Working with only stereo out is totally fine without being an influencer, more so in the studio than live. It just needs some more work.
Buying a Cycles and than ranting about not having multi-out is like buying a motorcycle and ranting about it not having a roof and you get wet in the rain.

7 Likes

Harshly expressed. But, unfortunately for @Ciccio, factually correct, of course.

2 Likes

Dear gentlemen, you are wrong, and I will explain why;
First of all, you need to know that to produce music, you need to know mixing techniques. It’s not enough to summing tracks. The tracks must be treated individually. Because they require different treatments. Anyone who produces professionally knows this.
Second, several people said that it is normal that it does not have the overbridge, because it is an entry level product. Wrong; The fact that it is entry level, or top level, does not preclude us from developing an overbridge to meet the needs of manufacturers. A drum machine is entry level for other reasons, because it does not have audio outputs dedicated to each track, because it has fewer oscillators, and therefore due to the hardware characteristics. But if in an entry level product you can use an application that allows you to work the 6 tracks separately, you have to do it. Because giving an example, it’s as if we had a 50 euro jacket, entry level, therefore without a hood, and if it rains I can’t shelter my head, put a hood on it and make me pay 20 euros more for it, so if it rains I can shelter my head . Or, if due to marketing strategy you don’t want to sell it for 70 euros. Sell me the jacket for 50 euros, without the hood. But give me the option to buy the hood separately. So if I need the hood I can buy it.
Elektron produces work tools, therefore also for professionals. Not just for kids who enjoy playing music. So developing an overbridge for cycles, and selling it separately for those who need to work the tracks separately, is a must in my opinion. And I assure you, not only in my opinion… I participate in a private group on Facebook about synthesizers, I posted the question on the group, whether the cycles tracks could be worked separately, and many users are interested in the topic. Many people need to process tracks separately. And answering these people, buy a more expensive drum is not the right answer, when it is possible to develop an overbridge for cycles. You develop it, sell it separately so the manufacturing company makes money and is happy. Users buy the application and can finally work with the tracks individually and are happy. And everyone would be happy. Instead this machine remains severely limited due to this lack of overbridge due to a poor commercial choice. And many people like me find themselves forced to sell it to buy another product that allows you to work with the tracks separately. E cycles remains a product for influencers or live performances. Nothing else. And when someone tells me that there are people who produce beautiful music with cycles I tell them, it will be beautiful for you, but it’s not technically produced correctly. Because to be well-made music, the kick drum must be processed with one type of compressor, the hit hats must be processed with another type of compressor, the snare drum must be processed with a gate and another type of compressor. If all this doesn’t happen, the music will be beautiful to you, but it wasn’t produced with the right mixing techniques.
So let’s try to convince Elektron to develop the overbridge for Cycles, so the entire record producing community of this world will be happy. And Elektron will be happy too, selling the overbridge separately. Very happy…