Cv sequencing Sub Phatty with A4

Hello,
I have very little experience with CV. What is the most effective way to sequence a Sub Phatty via the CV track on the A4? How would one use the FX track and/or the L/R setting on the OSC1/2 page on tracks 1-4? . Also how would one set up the CV config. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

all you need to do is connect your subphatty, tune it and have fun.
with the a4’s brilliant CV track, you can use the subphatty almost like it’s a part of the a4

You need 2 x insert cables (dual mono to TRS).

The TRS end plugins in to the A4, the 2 mono cables plugin in to gate and pitch on the Moog. If you want to control filter cutoff + volume you’ll need to use a 2nd insert cable.

Configure the CV output to use a gate, and volts/octave for the pitch channel. Set the value to 0.98 per octave (i.e. it’s not exactly 1 volt per octave) for proper tuning.

There isn’t much than can go wrong, as long as you use the right cables.

1 Like

Wasnt it 0,97V per Octave?

http://analog.pen.io

here is a good explanation!

greets!

1 Like

it really depends… you can have two subphattys side by side and both of them are a little tiny bit different, this means for one it’s 0.98 V/Oct and the other might be at 0.97 V/oct, a third one is maybe 1.0 V/oct

If you store your subphatty in your car during a cold night and then take it out on stage you can forget about those numbers…

that’s why i always have a tuner with me just to check how many cents i have to re-tune

Hi

This is what I’m trying to do with my Roland SH-2 which has one 1/4 " Gate socket and one 1/4" CV socket.

So do I need 1/4" dual mono TO 1/4" TRS cable ??

where the TRS end plugs into the A4 and dual monos into the SH-2

I use a trs 1/4 FROM A4 to 2 x 1/8 to cv / gate to minibrute plus a “clock only midi” for lfo sync. This works fine. Have a 1/4 mono to 1/8 sitting, waiting for when i venture into filter control. Read the stuff the cv guys write and you will learn HEAPS. Played around with sending cv from a xoxbox to filter of little phatty - pattern modulated filter. Interesting results. I guess thats why the cv guys love their shit. I look at the thread “who uses A4 to cv” and am completely out of my depth. Read, read, read. This forum is a goldmine of knowledge.

1 Like

Hi all, I’m new to all this CV stuff.I have successfully managed to sequence my Mother-32 with the A4 due to some settings I found on this forum but I can’t for the life of me set up the Sub Phatty successfully. I am getting C2 and C4 in tune but the pitch tracking is still off, I have been about a week trying to get this right and I just can’t. Can anybody help a brother out?! Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Have you tried this ? It has also been covered in many other threads - that’s why i moved it here

An important concept to consider is that the midi side should not be connected

Just connect via CV, now consider this, some cv synths allow the internal keyboard to act as an offset, so DO NOT press any Moog keys once you’ve started calibrating - if you try calibrating using A4 and use C2 and C4 - press a C2 on the Moog first and then leave well alone - now just use CV to calibrate

Yes I have, I got the C2 and C4 in tune using this method but when sequencing, all the notes in between are off, its almost as if it is tracking the pitch in some weird jazzy scale. So its almost there but just not quite.

i just don’t understand this if it’s a linear relationship - it ought to be trivial
what values are you using and how does it compare to the discussion above ?

have you tried a broader range, maybe 4 octaves wide ?

are you definitely in v/oct aot hz/v ?

Yes, I’ve tried broader ranges. Current setup is.

Type: PITCH V/oct
Note1: C2
Voltage1: 0.000 V
Note2: C4
Voltage2: 1.997 V

well that seems closer to 1v/octave than those examples posted above - but that’s not important if you are tuning the device in front of you

keep in mind the A4 calibration can also go off - so the numbers do not tell the whole story

check you have no other modulations targeting pitch etc etc and experiment with a different range or a different offset same values but see if it’s better c3-c5 or c1-c3 etc - it is a linear relationship, so you only need to get two points right and trust the moog and elektron to do the rest - broadest range seems most sensible option imho

without hearing what’s seemingly wrong it’s hard to comment further, never had an issue myself, but i don’t have a moog

Completely losing my mind here. Following instructions and I just can’t get notes below C3 to trigger. Makes the moog fairly useless. Someone have any idea why? I can trigger all the high notes.

Keep the voltage assignments but drop the octaves for the C on each setting

i.e. Cx > C(x-2)
Cy > C(y-2)

e.g. C4 > C2

so basically offset the range

Thanks. I have
C5- 0.0 (sounds like middle C on the phatty)
C7 - 2.0 (sounds about 2 oct up)

still every key i hit below C5 triggers C5 but the range seems to follow up ok.

Found a workaround, i just hit a lower key on the moog and it transposed everything. Hopefully this helps some one. I suck

Why didn’t you do as I suggested, no need for a workaround offset (transpose basically) on device

Try C2 0.0 C4 2.0 or c3 0.0 c5 2.0 i.e. subtract/odffset two/three octaves from assigned value

1 Like