CV out back into Exp/CV in

Hi!

I’ve started experimenting with the CV track as a modulation source for the internal synth tracks. A cable from CV OUT A to EXP/CV in 1. A simple use case would be a 10 step long filter sequence on the CV track via Control In Mod to control a synth’s filter cutoff on T1-T4 with a step lenght of 16.

But have any of you been able to successfully control the pitch of an oscillator across all octaves this way? What settings do you use? I imagine you could separate note triggers and pitch values doing it in this somewhat backwards way. :slight_smile:

If I’ve understood correctly, you’re trying to modify the tuning of the trigs to change the pitch of the notes on certain tracks, certainly to create a variation in the melody when the CV track is activated.

If you use CVA with the envelope, you can’t have a negative and a positive signal, it’s one or the other. So you can increase or decrease the tuning, but not increase and decrease it. CVA set to 0 on CV track.

If you use CVA with the LFO, this would be possible by using a square wave triggered by the trig: the amplitude of the LFO would allow you to modify the tuning pitch, and the start phase would allow you to decrease or increase the tuning. CVA set to 64 on CV track.
As I haven’t tested this yet, I wonder about the precision of the tuning obtained.
As the LFO constantly modifies the CVA value, you’ll need to program one on every step to control its position at all times, so that it doesn’t change the notes unexpectedly.
You’ll also have to modify the microtiming of the CV trigs so that they trigger at the right moment. To compensate for the latency that varies according to the BPM.
All this seems to me rather complicated to manage, whereas a pattern change seems to me much simpler to change the notes :slight_smile:

I’ve done a post on the use of CVs on the A4 and AR, maybe that will help you see more clearly which parameters to use. Analog Four mkII + Analog Rytm, Sidechain + New LFO, CV Trick

I hope I’ve given you the beginnings of an answer, and good luck with your musical research.