Custom gear

I love it when people customise gear, I’ll get the ball rolling with a couple I’ve seen

I like the wood thing, as you can probably tell

15 Likes

Oh these illuminated buttons on the MPC1000 look great!!! :face_with_monocle:

I really like the stuff from dickmalibu.com

or ghostinmpc.com

2 Likes

And the evolutions

0F34BC97-11BA-4AB3-9C83-2DC5447632E6

Ive seen people 808ify octatracks too but only sticker jobs. I think the black mnm and md are dick Malibu, they make me want to buy the combo :drooling_face:

10 Likes

If the Analog Keys looked like that photo in the OP, I would have bought one so fast…what a beauty.

i’d have thrown it into the fireplace

5 Likes

Now with “Phat Flaps”

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CIRCUIT-BENT-CASIO-VL1-PHAT-SYNTH-9-MODS/183060584096?hash=item2a9f42d6a0:g:KK8AAOSwARZXmnV7

1 Like

Perhaps you need to see it from a few overly artistic angles

11 Likes

It sounds like a sega genesis met a motorbike
3 Likes

nope. those keys and the golden bronze knobs… nope. into the fireplace it goes. to me that thing is the square root of uggo

1 Like

I think the Analog Keys mod is gaudy as all hell. I wouldn’t want to hear the music made by someone with that taste

The black Dick Malibu mods are sick though. I want.

2 Likes

I’ll give you that wooden keys are maybe a step too far, it’s nice to see something different though. Can certainly say I’ve never seen a synth like it. I like the bronze knobs

More metal knobs

Keychop

Another step too far

Monotron keyboard

5 Likes

Saw this on IG, old MPC style pocket operator cases

8 Likes

They’re very cool.

Just seen this . .
Roland SH-101 black & gold custom by ghostinmpc https://reverb.com/item/25334405-roland-sh-101-black-gold-custom-by-ghostinmpc?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

2 Likes

Oh man gold is a tough sell for me. I’m not sure how I feel about that, it could look nice in an appropriate 70s style wood panelled room

@bunker I know right, I wouldn’t mind a pocket operator with one of those. The sampler one always looked kind of interesting to me, never liked the lack of case though

2 Likes

Just got done adding the finishing touches to my TR-8. Currently working on new 3D printed step sequencer buttons which are more akin to the 808.

10 Likes

Congrats man that looks so so much better than the original. i look forward to seeing an update

Made the end caps for this and its really given this now almost vintage Kurzweil an imposing presence I really dig. Wooden keys would be the perfect finish though.

2 Likes

Thanks!, it’s definitely been fun tinkering with it cosmetically though probably not financially sensible for a $400 drum machine: $75 for the Synth Graphics overlay, $50 for the custom knobs, $50 for the orange/white diodes, probably another $25 or so for the misc paint/sealer supplies, and probably about 10 hours of labor from start to finish. I guess it puts into perspective how much I hate neon green lol.

I’m hoping the 3D printed 808 switches turn out well, I was quoted about $5 per switch to have them professionally printed, all solid colors (red/orange/yellow/white). The solid switches I think will greatly enhance the overall aesthetic as well as relieving the eyes from too much light exposure. It it turns out the way I think it will, I’ll consider sharing the CAD file with anyone who is interested.

2 Likes