Custom-built furniture for a neat setup?

This is what I’ve found. I went as far as building a room for music only, and ended up moving my office into it (which worked out perfect). I basically have the basement to myself these days so like @DimensionsTomorrow mentioned, I have gear everywhere. It’s awesome! Uke on the couch, DN and 404 at the bar, bass and acoustic next to my chair. Those will probably move around tonight as I don’t sit still well.

I also like to take gear out to the garage and play at my workbench. It’s a great hiding spot, life’s good.

Sorry to go OT.

3 Likes

Not OT at all, cos I’m totally open to any ideas that’d make my gear more easily accessible. I’ve played the single-box game for about 1,5 years now - take it out of the cupboard and put it back an hour or two later - and I’d very much like to set up two or three pieces and keep them there for a while. And I’d like to do it in an aesthetically pleasing way.

1 Like

I sometimes like to use one box at a time, and sometimes like to use multiple together. I find keeping them all together doesn’t interfere with me isolating them.

The one thing I’d really recommend is focusing on ergonomics. Stuff can Look great, but if it isn’t easy and comfortable to access, you likely won’t use it. If you have a spot where you want to build out your custom interface known, sit down in front of it in a chair and imagine the height you’d want your Matriarch keybed to be, imagine reaching over it to tweak your MnM. What angle do you want the knobs to be? All that stuff should lead how you set it up. You can make the housing as aesthetic as you want, but if you lead from function and comfort, you’ll really enjoy your gear a lot more.

My setup is in kind of an advanced prototype at this stage…I knew I wanted the faceplates for my Boog, Digis, and REV2 aligned, so I built this test setup by hacking an IKEA desk and sawing some plywood…longer term I’d like to build out a proper CNC mill file for an entire desk, with better cable management. But for sure having my gear set up so it’s easy for me to mess with everything makes it all so much more playable and fun.

5 Likes

100%

I found this out the hard way.

3 Likes

So yeah, absolutely would’ve loved the Audio Housing desk but it would’ve been a tad dominant in the living room, so I ended up ordering a nice 4-tier Jaspers stand and the intention is to make my ”garage studio” as comfortable and cosy as possible. Already did some tidying up and hung some pictures on the walls. Will probably paint the walls to make the place look a bit nicer. Will also try to make a better than usual effort on cable management this time… Let’s see where the ”build” takes me.

3 Likes

Awesome! It sounds like a great project. I’m looking forward to seeing/hearing about the results. Congrats and good luck!

3 Likes

Slightly disappointed, was excited to see what left field furniture solution you came up with… oh well :smile:

Understandable! Turns out no one makes synth desks/furniture in my desired Bat Cave style. You know, a desk disguised as a normal cupboard with motorized pull-out trays that are stored vertically and have these complicated hinges in them. Not unlike a Swiss army knife of studio desks. All that with the push of a button. :grinning:

Seriously though, paying 250€ for a Jaspers stand felt like a reasonable upgrade vs. paying 1k for a desk that wasn’t perfect for me right now.

1 Like

The world needs more of this. Why do people waste there time getting motorised TVs that rise from the end if their beds, when they could have a Matriarch instead?

1 Like

Exactly! Great minds think alike! :rofl:

I’ll be looking for the Bat-Signal in the sky should you ever come across a desk like that.

2 Likes

Apologies if I’ve missed it up there, but is the point that there isn’t space in the living room, or just that you’d want your stuff out of sight? If the latter, you could maybe consider a desk with a roll-out cover

This kind of thing, just for reference:

1 Like

Yeah, the latter. However, the real “problem” is that the gear I’d like to set up is too big to hide out of sight easily. Especially with the Matriarch in the picture… So I decided to try “one more time” with the space in the garage. If that doesn’t work I’ll probably just buy/build a case for two Elektrons or something. Or go back to working with one box at a time (which definitely has many positive sides to it).

1 Like

So, after three days of hard work, this is where I’m at now. Painted the walls, got a new carpet and a new lamp. Bought a 4-tier Jaspers stand.

Before with gear

After

Some work still to be done and it’s obviously missing (all) the gear but I’m getting there. Already feeling a lot more cosy! The idea is to have only a couple of pieces on the table / the stand at any given time as it could get too busy for me very fast with too much gear (see picture above).

Will post more pics once I get everything set up.

6 Likes

They do sloping shelves which are awesome too — I use them in my office for my studio den in the corner. Cheap battery-powered LED lights from Amazon underneath for nighttime vibes.

10 Likes

That’s awesome. I’m still dreaming of redoing my little office/music area with those. Hopefully eventually.

2 Likes