Custom Black Anodized MachineDrum Faceplate - Group Buy Opportunity

Hey everyone, I was browsing the MachineDrum hashtag a few years ago on IG and came across this beauty:

From that point on, I wondered if there were more. Turns out, no, this was just a one-off. Any of you who has seen the ones from Audio Parasites (different company) or the long discontinued one from Dick Malibu knows that this one is neither of those.

Anyhow, I nudged him a few times over the years and finally straight up asked him if he’d be willing to do another run for a group buy. Even though he no longer owns this unit, he kept his design files and was open to it!

So he got back to me with a quote. Here are the details:

-Approximately $180 AUD (he’s in Australia)
-CNC cut black anodized aluminum faceplate, the holes will match up perfectly
-The holes will not be countersunk. He has some “lovely black machine screws for the purpose.”

And to be clear this is NOT going to come with:
-the custom knobs pictured above (the level, volume, and p-lock knobs in the picture are Dave Smith knobs and he is unable to do the big E main sound encoder wheel again)
-the white screen which is not easily DIY’d and is apparently a real “prick of a job” that takes a long time to unsolder. Only for an electronics person!

If you are interested, please DM me! We’re a ways off from the group buy actually happening so I’m just gathering interest for now.

Thanks for reading!

2 Likes

I think the chap actually posted on here a few months back?

both did (post), but I believe he’s stating this is a one-off made by neither.

1 Like

Correct! This faceplate is by neither. The maker and I are in an IG DM conversation right now. I offered to him to be the go-between so he doesn’t get bogged down with the group buy logistics until things are actually moving (people are interested, committing to buy, working out shipping). Feel free to ask any questions, I’ll forward them along!

1 Like

not for me specifically, but something yourself or others might want to know is if the thickness or gauge of the sheet used is the same as the factory faceplate. also whether or not the color is primer then paint and silk screen lettering, or powder coat then silk screen, some combination of them. nice looking design.

also some of the mkI folks might wonder if he only drafted plans for mkII’s or if there’s also a file for the 3 LED mkI with the slightly different spacing.

1 Like

Mine…

1 Like

Mine…

Wow nice… love the matte look. And I see you countersunk the screw holes. How did you do this? Would you ever make more?

And what happened to your Scale button?

This is currently only for the MKII, sorry MKI people. If there is enough interest maybe we can cross that bridge at a later date.

I’ll forward these issues along.

1 Like

He says: “Hard no to the mki units.

“Anodised aluminium, 3mm thick, laser etched. This is a very durable finish and the etching is as tough as it gets because it is essentially burnt into the faceplate.”

is it possible to have mine without screenprint?

just the anodised black with screen will do for me

I suppose it’s possible (and that would look sick) but I think he’s trying to keep this as simple as possible as I was the one who kept pestering until I got him to even consider it. Let’s say no to any one-off variations or substitutions for now, even though that would be an easy one. I’ll update you if he would be willing to do that one.

Sorry I don’t understand. I didn’t make something particular with screews.

This is an MKII faceplate on an MKI. I wanted to modify Classic/Extented button but I fucked it with glue. Replaced with scale button. I’ll see if I can replace or repair it later…