Current sounds coming from your gear (Part 2)

been in a creative rot (perhaps working on my album is enough… perhaps setting up all my gear to be playable on the go -and fixating on small details of no importance- wasn’t such a great idea…) so I forced myself a bit and fired up the Digitone. I don’t know why but it turned into a very “mainstream” synthpop/rock ballad. It was fun to do, very different from the album I’m working on.
start with the Digitone for 50 seconds then Analog Rytm / Machinedrum / Rev2 for hardware synths (based on a live take, improvised singing and some work in the DAW)

6 Likes

:fire:

1 Like

hello Live 12, roar is crazy!
so far not digging the new filters though, seems unnecessary cluttered…

11 Likes

yeah i like this, i tried to start a mission brief once on a similar tip but it was 5 minutes, and the sampling crew understandably kicked up a fuss as my criteria was too stringent (all sample sources had to be recorded within the 5 minutes). needless to say it didn’t gain much traction, but an hour would be both interesting to hear the final result, and potentially record as a way of sharing processes/workflows.

4 Likes

5 minutes to create a 3-5 minutes tracks is unreal, especially with something like rytm that needs like 5 minutes kit setup :smile:

potentially you could stream/upload to twitch/YT live but maybe 60 minutes is too much, who has the time to sit through 60 minutes jams?
maybe if it’s something like 15-30 it’s viable but otherwise just a recording would be good, 60 minutes is quite a good time frame to sketch, perform/record, do some basic post processing and render… I really like the idea and if it’s weekly challenge then it’s really doable to do 1 hour per week whenever you have time…

1 Like

well it was just hit record from a blank pattern and see what happens, stop at 5:00.
so quite stressful and requires letting go of ego.

some people gave it a go but on reflection it wasn’t “fun”, an hour for trial and error and getting something more coherent by the end is kind of my current approach anyway.

4 Likes

(I’ll stop clogging the thread I promise)
potentially it can be an hour or less, if someone feels the need to live on the edge…

if there’s a new MB for such a challenge - I’m in!

3 Likes

When your brain is in this mode, it settles way more faster than regularly.

1 Like

been playing with dexed (free dx7 emulation) in reaper. fm synthesis is so rad when you use a lot of automation; in this loop its just two instances of the plugin, tons of automation, no processing or fx other than compression and limiter.

does anybody know why dexed patches sound so good when compared to the same patch loaded in fm8? is it the emulation of the dx7 dacs?

5 Likes

live 12 is fun, if all this midi stuff will be available on push it would be insane

3 Likes

is 12 released ?

nope, but there’s public beta available for all 10/11 users

so far working slowly on occasion but stable

1 Like

cheers

Yes , I think it does.
Not really a bad thing I guess when you want things done…

2 Likes

A4 driven by some Quadraverb magic. First just bypassed then at 0:31s active.

16 Likes

dt_nymphes_mood

9 Likes

Yes, that could work

First coherent loop made with the synth engines inside Dirtywave M8:

15 Likes

reminds me of jonmakesbeats recent video where he talks about decisions vs limitless opportunity, and yeah, forcing yourself in an hour to commit to things is really rewarding and garners results.

whether those results are good or not depends on loadsa things, but a comfort and speed with the gear of choice is crucial.

3 Likes

Ok, done under the 5 minute mark:

Necromancing @waftlord #5MC

6 Likes