CT-S1000V, singing synth from Casio

But wait re5et, they have flute and sax just for you.

1 Like

Well I’d like to play around with one. I think Casio has made a ton of gems over the years that don’t get enough love. Time will tell if this is one of those, probably not but maybe.
I hope someone who’s style I’m more into demos it. Let’s see the Jexus demo! Haha.

This feature has my deliberate misuse curiosity piqued.

6 Likes

For those who want the auto-accompaniment/arranger, harmonizer, etc. features without the vocal synthesis, there’s also the little sibling

https://www.casio.com/products/electronic-musical-instruments/casiotone/ct-s500

1 Like

After watching the Kraft Music video, I’m certain this is going straight to the Toy Keyboard Hall of Fame, next to the SK-1 and CZ-101.

I might wait until they are selling for $250 at closeout, but if they show up at Target I might just grab one.

2 Likes

Analyze this, Casio!

3 Likes

I’ll check that one out. Can’t really watch a video at the moment. That’s promising though. I love the truly good toy keyboards. I have a Casio setup right next to my hydrasynth. Embrace the cheese.

I’ll just keep using Phonem on my iPad

Do not watch the Kraft Music video !!!

haha… it left me with more questions. truly bad.

That bad? No matter what I’m not rushing out to pay $450 for it. If anything (big if) I’ll do my standard vulture lurk and wait for shops to blow them out or for them to start showing up dirt cheap used when most decide that their purchase was a mistake.

I mean, I wouldn’t complain if they returned to their FZ/CZ/VZ era, sure.

Still, whoever’s been at the helm on the synth side of things at the mighty Casio Corp in the last decade is staying somewhat on-brand here. The question is, is the S1000V a step up or down from in the current brand lineage?

Surely, it can’t knock this off the throne:
Casio Crosses a Groove Box, DJ Controller With Millennium Falcon - CDM Create Digital Music

3 Likes

No, worse than that.

The Benn Jordan video is worth it. Skip the filler at the start, and fast foward through the accompaniment section. ( Which i did not expect to be so complete. ) Benn mentions the customizing that is possible for the vocal synth that he didn’t touch. I think there is a lot of capability with this synth once you scrap away all the cheese and find a core of things that matches your musical vision.

1 Like

Thoughts after watching BJ’s video and looking at the features and specs:

• The sample library sounds pretty good for the money. You can also sample via Audio Input (stereo mini) or Bluetooth. However specs say sample time is 10 sec (Melody) / 3 sec (Drum set) - probably not going to be the hardware sampler of your dreams with all the fancy multisample layering, velocity switching, key mapping, and whatnot.
  • The arranger/auto-accompaniment features look great for this price point
  • Even if 80% of the included rhythms are cheese, there seems to be a good selection of ethnic beats and drum samples
  • 10 User Songs - not sure how “song mode” works on sub-$1000 arrangers like this though.
  • included WU-BT10 Bluetooth MIDI/audio adapter - This adapter was optional for my CT-S1 and costs about $80 - it is not included with the little sibling CT-S500
  • Was hoping to hear more non-vocoder sounding vocals - either Benn couldn’t make it happen, or he didn’t feel like making it happen, or maybe Casio just couldn’t make it happen at this price point. Might be unfair expectation on my part based on hearing the Roland VP-550 which was really a keyboard-driven vocal harmonizer and didn’t use vocal synthesis.
1 Like

The arpeggiator looks worthy too, with all the variations including randomizations too.

1 Like

In 30 years this synth will be the chosen instrument of the 2050’s Old World Lofi movement.

4 Likes

Boards of Canada are onto it.

i hope to see 10k responses to this thread by the morning. you got this, community!

It does have an odd combination of features. I’m classifying it in its own category. It has enough unusual features and is inexpensive enough, that it might be fun to play around with. Not sure it has a permanent home with me though. Maybe.

Something i like doing with text based vocal generators is to experiment with non-language percussive vocalizations. They can do really interesting things – anything from strange consonant combinations to unusual vowel shifts, at all sorts of speeds.

2 Likes

Huang factor :rofl:

Perhaps this, but without Google in the loop