Crunch/elk-herd

Hiya
Could someone check that sample transfer ( from dt to Mac) still works ?

I tried it but couldn’t find them , I think before 1.07 they went to browser download dir.
I still find this app less prone to loosing connection than official one , no idea why.
And find dupe is nice.
thanks.

@re5et - Thanks for finding that!

DT 1.08 fixed a bug in the download protocol, but elk-herd was being strict and checking for the old buggy behavior.

…aaaaaaaaaaaand fixed: crunch/elk-herd 2.0.1 is out!

It now supports both buggy-pre-1.08 firmware and fixed-1.0.8-and-later firmware. Download away…

2 Likes

Little bit off topic but just wanted to let you know @mzero how much I love your music.
I do prefer your earlier work under the Cat Stevens banner
‘Peace Train’ is one of my favourite all time songs

60E9F590-75B0-4F9A-98CC-69E7E388AAFC

4 Likes

What are the odds true project management becomes reality on DT? I find myself wanting to consolidate patterns from different projects into new ones and to reorder things to make it easier for live use, and it’s a very cumbersome process.

Ooooh, had not seen this before. Excellent! Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve written a complete UI and most of the code for Project management on the Digitakt: Ability to re-order patterns, and re-order loaded samples while keeping everything connected. Also, finding unused samples, and copying patterns (and their needed samples) to other projects. What’s missing is that the box has no SysEx commands for this yet(*).

I talked with Elektron extensively about this back at NAMM in January. They are keen to open up the unit by offering the APIs needed. However, it was understood that this was all 2nd place to getting Overbridge out the door… and that is still in progress.

I’m ready when they are!

(*): Yes, the box can dump projects and patterns via SysEx - but that is an “opaque blob” of data - I could reverse engineer it (as I had the original APIs) - and use that data to let you manage projects, but because it is “dump and restore” the workflow would be very clunky. I’m holding off on doing this for the APIs… but I may give in by Summer!

8 Likes

Sir, Thank you!

Wow… this just made my life soo much easier… THANX MAN!

2 Likes

supergreen

5 Likes

That is the single best compliment on my software I have ever received. Multeepass!

4 Likes

seems to work on rytm mk1 now too… though ive only browsed my folders so far.

2 Likes

Yay! Thanks for testing the mkI, @re5et.

1 Like

i bought my rytm 2nd hand , never fully knew what was on it.
ive focused on digitakt mostly , still getting my head around rytm/analog4 etc…sounds/kits/ sound manager / sound browser etc.

but i can now very easily use rtym and digitakt with matching sound palette

:slight_smile:

Hey @mzero , will the 1.10 release make it possible for you to implement your project management code?

1 Like

I checked, and there were no new APIs exposed that I could see in 1.10.

Since I suspect that Overbridge will have access to the project data, I don’t know if that means there’ll be yet one more OS release before Overbridge, or that there are hidden APIs…

I’m eager to finally be able to hook up the Project management UI to the device… so hopefully things will become clear soon.

5 Likes

I have connected a Rytm MK1 via USB and see it under MIDI Devices but I don’t see the related In and Out ports of the Rytm. I also have a Cirklon connected via USB but only see 4 of the 6 ports it should have.

TLDR: I don’t see all MIDI ports of my system.

I probably didn’t explain it well enough:

When you see an entry under MIDI Devices, it represents the pair of an in and an out port that crunch/elk-herd has high confidence are single device. When it does, it doesn’t show them under the MIDI In Ports and MIDI Out Ports sections.

If all the ports of the Cirklon (or your other equipment) are not covered by the three lists together, please DM me with details so I can debug why crunch is missing some.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

Single device means no multiport interface?

I don’t have the current Rytm firmware yet installed and will wait a bit since I read in a thread about the freezing encoder bug. I will check back when this is taken care of.

I just got the DT 1 wk ago on ebay.
I transferred a sample using this app but can’t find it on my +Drive.
Might be me not knowing how to use the DT, but if I look in the +Drive and don’t see it what steps should I take to debug?
Is there anything I have to do on the DT to get the sounds to show up in the sound browser?
I’m using Chrome on Ubuntu Studio 18.04 and DT 1.10
The app looks awesome! Can’t wait to get it working.

Sound Browser is not the same thing as +Drive.
Press the gear button, enter settings, and you sould find you samples under transfers-[todaysdate]. Unless of course you’ve named the folder you’re transferring to.

2 Likes