Crunch/elk-herd

Yes, they’ll be fine.

The Digitakt uses a “fingerprint” (technically a hash code) of the sample as the reference from projects and sounds that use it. Renaming the sample or moving it to a different directory doesn’t change the fingerprint, and so the projects and sounds still reference the correct sample.

It works even if you delete a sample entirely, and then re-transfer exactly the same samples again! Amusingly, if you transfer the exact same sample file twice, so you have it in the Digitakt under two names, - and load one into a project slot, you’ll see the other listed as loaded in that slot, too!

(Warning: The delete and re-transfer thing may not work if you let Transfer sample rate convert, since then the samples may not be exactly the same second time around…)

3 Likes

I have evidence that it worked on Android for someone, and I know one person that didn’t get it to work on iOS - but I’m not sure why. Please try it.

I haven’t put in extra work for touch events in the UI - so parts (like drag-n-drop) may not work. Please try it and let me know!

Several beta testers just downloaded the files, and they ran it on a non-connected computer.
I don’t know the tool they used… perhaps they could chime in?

I am considering using Electron (no, really, it is a web JavaScript thing) to turn this into a stand alone app for those who want it. But I won’t get to that until next month…

8 Likes

Opera does MIDI as well…

Sounds great, nice one!
Is there any chance you’ll make a Rytm mk1 version?

Let me know if it works in Opera for you.

Maybe if I get enough tips I can buy a Rythm and make one for it :grin: !

4 Likes

Are you open sourcing this? Might be a nice way for me to learn elm.

3 Likes

@mzero I suggest you send out some info to synthtopia / sonic state etc , might get some more interest.
I’d also suggest a paypal link so people can show their appreciation , even if you get a pizza from it although you’ll possibly be swamped with requests.

Great work :grinning:

2 Likes

This comment makes me think a find duplicates would be great…maybe another day.

1 Like

Why, there is a PayPal link right in the app! On the Settings page it says Enjoy. Have fun. Make music. Buy me a beer!, and next to my name in the header on the right, there is a small beer mug… click it!

5 Likes

Awesome work!!

Any chance you could release the source code for it? i would love to develop a native Mac and iOS app.

2 Likes

Nope, midi isn‘t supported on chrome ios - doesn‘t work on ipad or iPhone (tested both iPhone 7+ and iPad Pro 12.9 with usb3 camera connection kit). Porting the Digitakt Manager to mobile devices could be crucial because Overbridge has its own sample manager. So maybe the Digitakt Manager won’t get so much attraction then. But overbridge wont run on mobile devices…

Verified that indeed, Chrome on iOS isn’t the same core engine, so doesn’t support WebMIDI there. However, there is this iOS app: Web MIDI Browser that works with some WebMIDI apps. Perhaps it’ll work with this. I might try that when I get some free time… (But not tonight… I’m playing & streaming my Digitakt live tonight!)

Unfortunately Mark’s skill set is several magnitudes higher than what elektron would need. I’m sure they would love his calibre of code writer.
This isn’t something someone just knocks up this quick for fun without years of knowledge and deep understanding of high end coding.
Truely great work!

5 Likes

crashed on a big 750 sample snare folder. deleted it and it works. Is there a timeout on folder scanning?

Perfect. Sounds like he could get DT/OB working flawlessly in no time :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks again @mzero

Crunch works like a dream, just loaded (bunch) of samples via ET and managed everything in Crunch.

New folders, moving samples to other directories, renaming etc,…smooth.

And the split columns, now I can move folder content independently.

:ok_hand:t2:

2 Likes

I repeat my question again :slightly_smiling_face:
You are going to open it as an open source?
I have is a desire to implement this crossplatformed with ElectronJs and more comfortable UI :innocent::face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

wow, much Much Thanks mzero !

edited: could answer it myself

1 Like

Fantastic job, makes sample management a breeze. I’m loving it!

1 Like