Critical insight to 2018 MacBookPro

exactly. from my experience, the replacement is done with same architecture which leads towards the same failure.

as mentioned, in my case they didn’t find any solution, 6 years from buying MBP, the problem is still here

question about 2011 (which I own) vs 2015. Are these CPU’s the same?

MBP 17" early 2011 (2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7)
MBP 15" 2015 (2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7)

No, they’re not the same. The 2011 is ivy bridge I think, and the 2015 is haswell.

is there difference in performance speed? The fact is that the 2015’s config is 2.2 ghz QC, 16 gb RAM and 256 SSD, while my old 2011 is also 2.2 ghz QC, 16 gb RAM and 512 SSD. So wanted to know if 2015 will be faster config?

Yes. You can look up and compare most existing computer configurations at https://browser.geekbench.com/ for a somewhat reasonable comparison of real-world performance.

1 Like

difference is like day&night …

yes and no. power hungry apps will run faster because of improved architecture. for most of the pedestrian stuff, there is no significant difference. try to max out the ram and upgrade to SSD and you should be set for another 5 or 10 years.

I own both …and the 2015 model is so much snappier with the latest macOS - but maybe the 2011 model needs a better SSD …or better ram…?

a bit OT . . . i use a 2012 i7 mbp with el capitan. any reason to update to the latest macOS version? things are stable right now so i haven’t done the update. what’s the consensus on this?

If no specific reason, I would not bother

my 2011 is updated having 16gb ram and 480gb SSD (OCZ SSD ARC 100). It is configuration I’m happy with, really fast. If there were no overheating issue, I would change it for new MBP.

you got them replaced, I suppose with same type of keyboards, not with new one?

If you find no reason to update, don’t. Im on 2011, on El Capitan, everything is OK. In general, I don’t understand Apple why are they introducing new OSX so often

It you have problems with the old one
It will be replaced with the old one
:frowning:

sorry …I was refering to mine. I have a cheap 128GB SSD (I think Samsung or OCZ) and cheap 16 GB ram from 2012. It‘s not really comparable to a stock 512 GB SSD and stock 16 GB ram from Apple from 2015 in terms of speed - that‘s what I meant.

I think It is important to realize that a high end mobile core i7 or i9 cannot be cooled properly under constant high load in a slim laptop case design.
This is just not possible with a classic fan system in such a tiny box, even for Apple! Your processor WILL be throtteled. or you will have serious heat/noise problems!!

there are portable workstations for that, and trust me even in a high end worstation with bulky cooling systems the fans struggle to maintain the heat acceptable when such a high spec processor is constantly delivering power and heat.

hm, I really do understand this. But Im not talking here about highly consuming CPU stuff. I described previously some average, not so CPU consuming actions, that cause really high temperatures on my MBP.

Did I mentioned that transferring photos from my Canon 6d to Lacie HD attached to MBP 2011 causes temperature going to 95-98 degrees?! So instead, for this purpose I’m using my Dell Chromebook (Intel Celeron N2840 2.16 GHz, 4 GB RAM) with no problems.

That’s how they get people to upgrade their hardware. And then they make pro apps updates depend on newer osx versions…

You dont NEED to update. People still use their old atari computers for the original Cubase.

Dont need the newest shit to rock…tb303, sh101, etc etc

1 Like

There are often useful tools added to fcpx or lpx that Cubase on Atari, sh101 and other platonic old shit kids like to think of fondly can’t do, as much unbelievable that may sound to you. I know, crazy.