Critical insight to 2018 MacBookPro

oh but to keep it relevant to the op… i think they are totally, generally losing their “pro” base with this price and dongle assholery, though i personally am not bothered by the latter. still, the new maxed out ones, though arguably “worth it” are just STUPID expensive. wouldn’t. if i’m spending that much i’d prefer a desktop with a hugegantic screen.

1 Like

Yep… that‘s what I think. Better get an iMac. And for a laptop a tiny lightweight Macbook. Times are over where I desperately needed a decent GPU in a mobile unit - I bet a current Macbook Air (does Apple still build them?!) would suffice my needs.

1 Like

you still have the usual option for backing up through fast USB-C ports and these days many ppl are using Cloud service of their choice. The dedicated backup port was useful for extracting your data in the case when you broke your computer and USB bus is not working. This option is now removed. With the latest model you have two options for emergency backup:

1. repair the computer and access the SSD trough the USB-C port as usual;
    and if this is not an option
  2. solder the SSD out from the broken motherboard an solder it into the working laptop (not sure if this will actually work)

Both options are very tricky because not all the computers can be (easily) fixed and with the latest policy it’s not even clear if it’s possible to transfer the SSD from one computer to other (Apple is using now some clever identification technologies in its products sometimes rejecting ‘rouge’ parts). Anyhow, if it happens to you, you are screwed for at least for few hundred euros.

I’m using a combination of Cloud backup and external firewire (remember this, kids?) HDD for backing up my computers. But I’m not working on external drive.

1 Like

They’re not. Try configuring a windows laptop with equivalent specs.

3 Likes

This no longer works because the data is encrypted by keys tied to the hardware. This is in addition to FileVault and handled transparently by that new T2 chip.

3 Likes

A good summary of how SSD storage works woth that new T2 chip in the iMac Pro and latest generation MBP: https://www.macworld.com/article/3245764/macs/the-t2-chip-makes-the-imac-pro-the-start-of-a-mac-revolution.html

Your external drive will be just fine. USB3.0 data transfer rates are more than quick enough for the purposes you describe. You also don’t need to worry about taxing the CPU whether you are reading / writing the built-in storage or external storage should make no noticeable difference to CPU load.

Of course, if you have the money and the need you can connect an actual Thunderbolt 3 drive and impress your friends with transfer speeds faster than a European footballer’s agent standing in front of a suitcase of cash and a mountain of blow.

2 Likes

Yep, tried this the other day with Alienware and although I managed to get more grunt per $ (AUD, that is) I also ended up with something much larger, almost twice as heavy and a lot of plastic.

The latest MBPs are out of my budget but second-hand 3.1GHz mid-2017 models have all dropped quite a bit in price since the new guys appeared on the scene. Guess what’s now powering my portable Maschine Mk3 rig.

quite a bit … still over 3400€ here… would rather have a big screen instead. I am not even looking what the new models costs. I guess it will give me a stroke.

FWIW, I will be selling my 2017 15” MBP when I am back from my vacation to replace it with a latest generation 13” now that you can get 4 cores in those as well. Feel free to DM me in case you’re in the EU and you’re interested.

1 Like

I doubt that can make significant difference in temperature. But, I saw some guy drilled holes on back cover :slight_smile: I really believe it might help

tried, but with no result

get a laptopstand made from aluminium and integrated fan.

1 Like

thanks for advice. indeed, there might be a few more reasons to stick with an older models.
just yesterday I spoke to a friend, he told me that the whole team in his company is working on new MacBooks (waiting to see which model exactly), and ALL of them are suffering from keyboard failures because it is super sensitive even on small particles, dust etc. If you google this problem, you will find internet overloaded with this topic. Also, he pointed the series of problems and absurdities with touch bar, and the most annoying one is hitting the Touch Bar by mistake causing triggering unwanted actions. These issues are also covered by numerous stories on internet.
I hoped that there are non touch 15" models within newer generations, but seems like not, so this fact also leads me toward thinking about 2015 model which is the latest non-touch bar (if I’m correct?). But, not sure if this model can be found in shops anymore. Any suggestions for finding them in EU?

I also know an organisation using mbp, 100% mbp 2016 & 2017 has these keyboard problems. I had these problems, had several keyboards, all with problems, after recording meetings with the retailer Where they said everyone has the problem But its not their problem and I won’t get my money back, I told them I go to the local newspaper with my recordings. They changed and returned me an iMac.

So 100% the same problem is insane
The 2018 mbp has a new keyboard with dust protection

2 Likes

the summary:
2018 problems with overheating, been there, no thanks
2016, 2017 problems with keyboard

what about hackintosh?

if I was you, I wouldn‘t mind the broken keyboard since Apple will need to find a solution for this problem (like with the staingate displays or the faulty GPU solderpaste).

Hackintosh much recommended. Much cheaper. Just find a hardware configuration that is known to work 100%. Will build one next year for VR when the new generation of NVIDIA will be out.

Or get an iMac.

this story
most creative solution to the problem I’ve seen
kind of sucks to be this retailer person

Well done. I always threaten to do a FB or Google review of the place with whatever problem they won’t resolve. Often works.

kind of sad that apple handles these fundamental problems the way the user always has a short end of the stick. Even with the faulty graphics of 2011 models they did not issue a recall. What they did was offering the replacement program of the motherboard in short period 5 years later. If your computer died before that you had to wait some extra years to have it fixed and if you did not want to wait you would pay more then 500EUR out of your own pocket for the new motherboard. It’s important to know that many of the replacement boards were also faulty and some users had to go for 2 or 3 replacements. If your GPU dies today, you are out of luck because the new motherboards have 6 months of warranty. The same can happen with the faulty keyboards. I would not suggest anybody to buy these models.

I can only guess that Apple has the company policy to be extremely bad on fixing these fundamental issues that basically are caused by their faulty design. This and their policy to offer reduced warranty for their machines and parts (kind of violating EU user rights requirements) is placing their users always to more vulnerable position compared with other manufacturers.

2 Likes