Critical insight to 2018 MacBookPro

I bought a mbp last year, had a big problem with the keyboard, brought it back after 2 hours, had a few times a new keyboard, fck Apple! Love my lonovo thinkpad, make music on my iMac.

It was not only the broken computer, But more important was that Apple denied the problem. The new computer will have new problems, Apple will have the same attitude. This attitude is unacceptable after spending 2500€

Yeah, unfortunately my board was fine during the replacement program and died soon after that.

Personally seen far too many Apples fall from the tree. Imacs with failed screens, macbook pros failed graphics etc etc. The only time i recommend people purchase a mac these days is if they want or require to use MacOS only software. Otherwise there are so many great PC Laptop options and custom builds. I started out on a Mac though…and still own a Macbook Pro2012 intel.

Moving audio synthesis out of the box can be quite expensive, especially when you use Reaktor or some other modular synth. However for the price of the new MBP you can get decent hardware setup instead.
Hardware is expensive but you own it, not some kind of licence for DRM software with no resale value.

Aight …then change that to the mighty court of California! At least somebody forces Apple to not being hated too much!

Anyways …I love the Apple ecosystem and would never go back to Windows. In the end they make pretty nice products that come with a not so nice pricetag. My next Mac will be a Hackintosh …

1 Like

Hi, i switched my old 2011 MacBook pro for a custom and very powerfull HTPC case running Windows 10. It is more or less the same size than an elektron box (case = silverstone ml06 fits in a backpack).
Haven’t found a nice portable screen but this seems feasible.

Never had an issue with any of my macs. Each pc ive had has been garbage. Crash crash brick.

At werk we used to use pc for game dev. Ive never been through so many machines. Buggy as fuck, crashy as fuck. Aside from being easily hackable.
When we moved to mac, the only time we change out computers is when we upgrade.

Granted the ball was dropped with the port choices…but i can live with that and have a reliable box.

2 Likes

This is exactly why you should recommend Apple. :face_with_monocle: :wink:
Apple has a lot of hardcore fans, but those can’t be fooled or the story will be all over the internet.
Apple doen’t have many models, so they sell a lot of each model, and the probability of seeing a failure is increased.
All those scandals are your insurance to get a reliable product. There are court cases, class actions…
Dell and others design the same shitty almost-as-expensive boxes with the same problems, but i am not sure that end users achieve to shed the light on it and get their problem solved in the same way!

1 Like

It’s good to see Apple respond to this so expediently.

I’m rooting for the i9 MBP to be a hit, but mostly so that it pushes the 2015 i7 Refurb and used prices down, since those are more inline with my wallet and needs.

7 Likes

Glad that there is a fix of sorts for the i9, though time will tell re: reliability of internals & keyboard. Never liked the touch strip replacement, usb-c lockdown & MagSafe removal.

Got a 2009 24" iMac. Still works perfectly. Does job as audio recorder and dining room media system nowadays. Had a 2012 15" MBP that was below 80% battery. Last year Apple swapped it for a top spec 2015 15" for the cost of a battery. They offered a 2017 for an extra $200 but decided to go with the ports and tried tested. Had no issues with anything since and am confident it will serve my purposes for another 2+ years. Point being, if someone offered me a straight 2018 i9 machine swap for my current one I would probably pass unless simply to sell and profit.

3 Likes

i have a 2017 model and can confirm internet connection breaks down if i use a 30 euro dongle from amazon (tried two different models). still refuse to buy an apple one. helps me to make music when the sound card is connected though :wink:

I upgraded from a 2011 to the 2017 mbp last year with 4gb graphics, it’s been fine but honestly I don’t know if I need such a powerful laptop anymore. I think portability is more important to me, the new crop of quad core 13” machines I think could be better serviceable to me than the 15” which is still heavier and bulky when other luggage is factored in.
I think I wind up having additional power for ‘in case’ scenarios, when the fact is my computationally intensive tasks have dropped rather dramatically in recent years. I dunno if that’s due to getting older or being lazy or shifting interests, but I realised I carry over my ‘power user’ mentality to current purchases even though my usage is actually quite casual these days. Still, if some bug did bite that required a more processor heavy machine, I think it would def be a desktop PC or hackintosh and portability reserved for a quad 13” if and when I replace the 15”.

1 Like

“They don’t make them like they used to”, was a conversation I had with a technical editor when she looked at my Mac book pro and asked if it was a 2013? “eew, yucky”.
No, it’s a 2010. I tried to feel unprofessional. She in her white pant suit and pink Mac Air, me in my footy shorts and hoodie, standing in the middle of a coal mining site.
It’s still going strong, has processed thousands of .tiff images from 40Mb to 400Mb in size for the last 8 years, and has only crashed two or three times while outside in the middle of a desert (could’ve fried an emu egg on it).

The most common conversation I hear from other photographers now is, “my new MBP keeps crashing”. Then they give me cheek about my 2010? I tell em I’ll update when they stop complaining and start praising the new ones. I prefer the old days when we just bitched about photo editors (real people, not programs).

Anyway, something at apple has gone to shit in a thong if an old product, generations out of date, is out performing its emperors new clothes.

4 Likes

I’ve been using a 13” MBP since the USB-C models were introduced and switched to a 15” MBP when they were updated last year because I wanted more cores.

I’ve had no issues. Keyboard works just fine for me. Performance has been stellar. No crashes.

1 Like

Simply put OSX > Windows. I don’t have time to deal with all the crap that my fellow Windows peeps have to deal with.

Full disclosure I’ve used a Mac since 1992 so I might be biased. But in those 26 years I’ve had one failure (logic board on my first Mac in 1994 and a graphics card problem which Apple fixed for free 5 years out of warranty in 2013).

1 Like

This awesome story!

Yeah, I like the smaller form factor for portability too. That’s why I was waiting for the 13" MBP to get quad-core processors. I’ll probably be upgrading my old 2013 13" soon (it’s still working really well, just can’t handle some CPU-heavy stuff).

Yeah and now with the eGPU’s there’s really no looking back

People who want to game on a laptop are going to get a PC anyways, but if u did want that extra grunt at home or in the studio the eGPU is there

I think the GPU intensive laptop days are numbered for the Mac, they want thinner and lighter, and Apples full blown dev and support for external graphics to me is the writing on the wall

1 Like

I have a macbook pro from 2011, works fine. I also have a self built desktop with Windows 10, also no problems. Other than the fact that my cpu was overheating, but I can’t really blame Microsoft for that, and it was fixed with some thermal paste. I have basically had as little problems with windows 7 and windows 10 as I have had with OSX. They are all fine.

3 Likes

I also got a free logic board for my late 2011 way after the warranty! It failed live on stage at the open mic I host, which wasn’t super cool, but replacing the board for free definitely was!