Critical insight to 2018 MacBookPro

…history repeating…here we go again for another round of good old apple bashing…
nothing else to do?..really?

Is pointing out potentially critical problems with hardware bashing?

5 Likes

After a certain point most i5s / i7s can keep up with single track tasks with effects chains.

The higher end CPUs are better at offline bouncing of tracks in your DAW. That’s where you see the bump.

If you are trying to save CPU in a multitrack session you can make a send track with that effect so you will have select audio tracks go into one send channel.

Wow thats a really great comment :ok_hand:

1 Like

This is one of the reasons I switched to hardware for most of my music needs.
Actually this Sunday I removed pretty much all Live Suite library packs from my computer and moved a big chunk of my samples directly to OT’s flash card.

If I had to get a new laptop I would buy a MBP 15" in default CPU option with internal graphics chip. I learned that hard way using MBP 2011 with dedicated GPU.

discussed by music people for music people, and a good reason to consider it.
if you like speed it may be an option for you.
video starts at appropriate point.

I’ve pretty much given up on the ”new MBP” idea. When my current 8 year old MBP dies eventually, I’m switching to a mac mini. I rarely use my MBP as a ”laptop” anyway, and am much more used to using an iPad for ”mobile computing” these days. Fck laptops, small desktops (connected to big screen(s)) and tablets for me from now on.

But aint no way I’m ditching OSX. Kinda wish Apple would start making Xserve 1RU servers again, that’d be a badass DAW :diddly:

3 Likes

it’s good enough for apple themselves…

3 Likes

i guess im one to talk…i ditched my laptop for a desktop.
i WILL NOT ditch apple though. werks to well with premier and photoshop. fast as fuck. and im entrenched in logic.

3 Likes

Seems to be a trending topic ATM, just read this

The computer user community over the internet is so amazing.
It is not about bashing Apple, this is not Apple centric.
It is all about sharing knowledge and protecting the consumer vs giant industries.
:green_heart:

5 Likes

Possible update!

1 Like

Yup, the whole thing was much to do about nothing! Definitly glad Apple got that sorted out.

Single thread performance is the reason I switched to hardware. I couldn’t generate and process audio simultaneously with one core on any of my multi-core computers. I decided instead of upgrading my computer I would just move the audio synthesis out of the box.

2 Likes

Funny, I was planning on updating my 2011 to a 2013

1 Like

Have a 2011 MBP with dedicated graphics as well. Got a fresh logicboard for free 4 years after waranty was over - still running nicely for a 6 year old machine! Can‘t say anything bad in this case. Also my 2014 mbp got a new screen for free. So in my experience Apple at least doesn‘t let me down when there are quality issues with their hardware.

2 Likes

They replaced the motherboard on my early 2011 Macbook pro for free around 2014. I’m very grateful.

The early 2015 MBP I use in the office had the reflective coating on the screen start to go bad. Called apple, they replaced the entire screen assembly for free just last week. I’d buy another!

FYI this happened because of two separate court cases in State of California, forcing apple to take the responsibility for their faulty design. There is an ongoing one focusing on 2017 keyboards.

1 Like

it really amazes me the level of tolerance people have for Apple, once they were great but with each update it keeps going down.

Four horrible trends:

1.- Yearly OS updates, this has messed with software, every year companies have to warn the users not to update, drivers need updates, etc. I think this is turning costly for software companies.

2.- Price increases, 500 USD more out of nowhere for almost the same product. Why consumers accept this?

3.- Dropping useful ports and forcing people to get adapters.

4.- No upgradable, hard to service

I just think Apple doesn’t care about creative professionals anymore, and sadly when it comes to laptops they still have the big advantage over windows of the CoreAudio driver, if you want low latency on a windows laptop you will have to carry an external audio interface because ASIO4all drivers just doesn’t cut it. Maybe if RME came up with a very small USB interface a windows laptop could be feasible for music production.

For desktop where you are not going to be mobile anyway I think a custom PC is such a superior solution.

3 Likes