Creating new filing system

I hadnt backed up the octatrack for a while and when i did i saw lots of new files not in subfolders in my audio folder :frowning:
If i create new subfolders and/ or put them in existing sub folders to tidy them up will my projects still be able to find them? Sorry , Im not particularly IT savvy
Also any tips on filing systems?

I guess that would mess up existing projects.
I faced the same dilemma, then realized that I didn’t have any important projects to begin with.
But if you have, I wouldn’t move the files around.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind some tips on approaching this with the OT.

I was a bit miffed the first time I loaded up a saved project and it had no samples in it, only realising then that I was recording to a buffer on a flex track. So now I save off the buffer into files when I want to save the project - but I feel like this isn’t the efficient/right way to handle that stuff. OT is a mysterious mistress.

COLLECT SAMPLES copies samples that are used by the currently active project into the project directory, which will effectively disconnect the project from the audio pool.
PURGE SAMPLES will remove all unused samples from the project. Note that samples are only removed from the Flex and Static sample slot lists of the project; the actual samples will not be deleted from the audio pool. :robot:

3 Likes

No. You have to reassign samples after creating a folder and put samples in.
In sample slot lists, you should see an ERROR message. Reassign these files.

Other approach : edit project settings file with a text editor. Add new folder’s name in sample assignment path. Ex:

PATH=…/AUDIO/Sample.wav
PATH=…/AUDIO/NewFolder/Sample.wav
(Copy paste NewFolder/ or else to concerned samples).

project.work (or project.strd)
############################

Project Settings

Blablabla…

Samples

[SAMPLE]
TYPE=FLEX
SLOT=001
PATH=…/AUDIO/ELEKTRON/percs.wav
TRIM_BARSx100=200
TSMODE=2
LOOPMODE=1
GAIN=48
TRIGQUANTIZATION=-1
[/SAMPLE]

[SAMPLE]
TYPE=FLEX
SLOT=002
PATH=…/AUDIO/ELEKTRON/rhodes.wav
TRIM_BARSx100=100
TSMODE=2
LOOPMODE=1
GAIN=48
TRIGQUANTIZATION=-1
[/SAMPLE]

[SAMPLE]
TYPE=FLEX
SLOT=129
PATH=
BPMx24=2880
TSMODE=2
LOOPMODE=0
GAIN=72
TRIGQUANTIZATION=-1
[/SAMPLE]

{Etc…}

Is an interesting solution, but if you want to re-use these samples in another project it can messy…

Be aware that PURGE SAMPLES doesn’t work for slot 1-8 (Static or Flex). As these slots are default assignments on all default parts, OT consider that these slots are used.

1 Like

There is an option save them in project directory if you don’t want to put them all in AUDIO folder root.

2 Likes

I always use SAVE SAMPLES TO PROJECT DIRECTORY option in personalise menu. Keeps things easier to keep track of for me. If I use samples from audio pool I use COLLECT SAMPLES option. If I record samples in the project I save them to free flex/static.

4 Likes

Those are textiles?!

Next time I’m bored, I’m gonna write an OT File Manager ™

I just reload new samples and compose an hour+ of new sequences before every Live PA.

Makes it more special for the audience, and keeps me from getting bored playing stale tracks everyone has already heard.

Yes it’s a singular performance and rarely recorded or documented, if you weren’t there you missed out on a great time

I usually have 12-15x 4 kit folders with 7-8 samples in each,

1 Like

Check project files. This file project.work file is editable with a simple text editor, not others…

Thanks so much everybody. My skills arent up to file path editing but i think my plan is as follows:-
Load up project , use ‘ collect samples ‘ and ‘ save project’ command to put relevant files within project folder
Repeat for every project
Leaving me with an audio pool within which i can set up a filing system
I realise this creates duplicates across projects and audio pool
I’ll live with that for now
This link describes various ways to address this issue with new projects

Most helpful( assuming ive got my facts right :pray::crossed_fingers:
Thanks everybody
Kr
Chris

No. The project has a reference to the audio files; so just moving them won’t update the project; and will break your links.

Additionally, multiple Projects could be referencing the same file.

Probably best to use the “Collect Samples” option as others have suggested.

Keep an organised structure within your Audio Pool;

• Drums
    • Kicks
    • Snares
  • Loops
    • Perc Loops
    • Hi-Hats

Then use “Collect Samples” as discussed above if/when you want to isolate/self-contain your project.

3 Likes

Ok, so with several projects this worked fine, but with others, when running ‘ collect all samples’ i got ‘ unable to collect all samples file not found’ error, but when i looked in the project sample slots i i couldnt find any such message in any of the slots

Question
Does octatrack abort the ‘collect all samples’ procedure or just ‘ collect all it can’ when it sends this message?