Collect samples

Has anyone run into problems using COLLECT SAMPLES?
And when you use this function will the OT create a folder inside the project with a copy of all the samples currently in use for that project?

Don’t think there’s a new folder. Samples are at the root of the project’s folder. I only had problems with PURGE SAMPLES, which doesn’t work for the first 8 sample slots (Static & Flex).

I was hoping it would create a separate folder for the samples I had used for a project, that way I could delete all the unused samples in my Audiopool.
Would you have any ideas how best to do this?
I thought PURGE SAMPLES deleted unused samples sitting in your sample slots for that project?
Wouldn’t the samples in your first 8 slots generally be used anyway?
Or are you saying that if I had 8 samples in the first 8 slots and they were not being used, and I went to PURGE it would not work?

Purge samples only removes unused samples from the slots, if machines are using those slots, they won’t be purged. So for example if you had samples in slots 1-16 and your machines were loaded with samples 9-16, if you then hit purge samples 1-8 would be purged but 9-16 would stay…

So you want to delete all unsused samples from the audio pool? Collect samples will copy the samples used in the project from the audio pool (SetName/Audio) and into the project folder (SetName/ProjectName). Your used and unused samples will still be in the pool and the used ones will have copies in the project folder. You could then delete all the samples in the audio pool, and copy or move them back from the project if you want. If you have more than one project in this set you’ll want to collect samples in each project before deleting the pool.

9 Likes

Nice explanation Mike.
Also, there is an option (somewhere) to rename samples. Dont do this or your Octatrack wont find these samples anymore.

I know. But PURGE SAMPLES doesn’t work for unused samples in the 8 first slots. You can check, I would be happy to be wrong. :wink:

I’d advide against this personally. Do one, or the other. Not both.

Have you empirically tested that? Do you want me to?

1 Like

Yes please. Nobody confirmed.
I couldn’t Purge some samples in the first slots and didn’t know were I could use it.
Then to test in an empty project I loaded samples in more than 8 slots, without using it.
Only slots from 9 were purged.

Will test tomorrow maybe… give me a nudge in a day or two if I haven’t responded…

2 Likes

So did you try to purge your first 8 slots ? :wink:

The slots !

Stumbled across this thread, yes, I just right now found a huge bug, at least for my 1.40A

when I “collect samples”, then the playback of those samples is not working anymore. just no sound at all… as if the sequencer doesn’t know where to look them up or something like that…

then, when I save the project (still no sound), I change the project, and change back: there is sound again. really weird behaviour

@Jhnns
Weird…
I just collected samples on an opened project.
Saved.
Here is the project playing the samples as before.
On another subject, to avoid a mess in the audio pool, I have developed a habit of creating a folder where all my transferred samples go while working on the project.
I then purge, collect and save.
This way, all used samples remain in the project folder and I also have a folder (project named accordingly) at the root of the audio folder that I can either keep for other projects or delete or transfer back to my Mac if I want to save space on the CF card.
Works quite well.