Creating longer sequences than 64?

Hi

Is there anyway to create longer sequences than 64 steps?

I want to lay down some nice pads in the A4’s sequencer but it seems quite limited in this regard.

I could always do it in Ableton but I sometimes want it all from the A4.

1 Like

Hiya, you can always slow the sequencer down to give you extra time. Also, you can chain patterns together

1 Like

If you use the pattern chain function, then you can play sequences of patterns. You can also real-time record into these sequences, which is awesome.

The only slight headache I have found is that any pattern you manually set to 64 steps will default back to 16 steps after you return to a previous pattern, unless you record some sequencer data into it. Luckily, this can be totally inconsequential data (for example, a single trig put into the FX track with no parameter locks at all).

To explain how this works: If you set up A1 and A2 as both 64 steps and chain them, but don’t put any sequencer data in A2, then it will go back to 16 steps as soon as the chain starts with A1. I hope Elektron fixes this behaviour as it’s a bit annoying. I may raise a support ticket about it.

As soon as you have some data in a pattern, though, the 64 steps will remain even after jumping to another pattern, and you can chain your patterns together in a big sequence (for example, A1, A2, A3, B5, C6 etc.) Make sure you understand the link between sounds, patterns and kits in order not to lose any of your sounds when you make changes.

8 Likes

…you’re aware of the fact that this 64 steps can run half time…and even half time of that half time…right?

You can put some data before recording - ex : 1 trigless -trig

You don’t get extra steps by slowing down :wink:

Sorry but I don’t know what you mean.
Can you explain what you mean a little better?
I’ve only had my A4 about a week and am slowly learning.
Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful.

1 Like

Sorry but I don’t know what you mean.
Can you explain what you mean a little better?
I’ve only had my A4 about a week and am slowly learning.
Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful. [/quote]
I think what he wants to say is that every track run faster or slower than the others > like twice as fast etc…

In the advanced mode of “Page”, you can set the Master to be for instance 128 steps.
Then you have to set your track length (that can’t obviously be more than 64) and the trig conditions maybe to make a pattern of more than 64 steps.
It’s feasible but with limitations.
The other way is to work on different patterns and chain them in one big sequence with the song mode.
Less limitations, especially if you work on the same Kits.
But you have to know what you’re doing, as you will constantly change from a pattern to another.

See what fits you more : I’d prefer the first solution.

Chains is probably your best bet. For items where you want it to work once every 128 as an example, you could use the new trig conditions option in the note menu.

1 Like

Hey ! I never tought of that … good idea, still have to update … no pc at home :disappointed:

could you try to explain first solution again? how do i use all 128 when pattern is 64?

Could someone please kindly talk me through how to loop two patterns in one endless chain?

select a pattern as normal (Bank+Trig/pattern)

but instead of releasing Bank/Trig select another trig/pattern whilst holding … then release

The chain light will be lit and you’re good to go, even if seq is playing

2 Likes

thanks, and thanks PeterHanes for moving this into topic

and are new patterns per definition empty, or can they be set to have the info from the previous one?

1 Like

see here, also searching can reveal interesting insights on older topics :thup:

1 Like

thanks! will improve searching habits

(forums ARE tricky though to search when you don’t know the proper words for things…)

2 Likes

I really wish, above all other wishes for the A4 and AR, that you could have different track multipliers PER TRACK.

Yes, it’s great that I can choose a multiplier of 1/4 and have a really long sequence. But it doesn’t help when I have something else on a different track that needs to work in 64th notes.

Pain in the arse!

actually this might be part of the real problem i was trying to formulate.

but isn’t that possible, maybe i’m mixing (no pun) it up with Octatrack

i remember seeing Carl-Mikael Björk creative different pattern lengths thus creating advanced sequences (prob on OT)

BUT isn’t that what advanced more is for?

Yeah, on the OT they can be independent. On the Analogs the multiplier is global only.

1 Like