Creating a techno live set with the Digitone only

Hey everybody,

I’m enjoying more and more the sonic possibilities offered by the Digitone and as stated in a previous post the idea of creating a live set using only this box is slowly getting more and more enticing.
I’ve created this post because if I decide to do it, I could use it as a kind of diary for my progress. And at the same time, be held accountable for the lack of it on here :wink:
So far, I’ve created a few pattern which in my view show the possibilities of this machine, both in terms of variety and density of sound (it’s a techno live set mind you)
Here’s a video to get things started, feedback is very welcome!

24 Likes

Sounds Great! really like the emotional feeling synth sounds in the first 2 tracks. all three are very danceable tunes! Only thing i might have some feedback on is track 1&2 feel like belonging in one set and the third one is a bit to different from the other 2. but that might be solved with another track/loop that fits perfectly in between.

1 Like

I like them. Melodic. And nice sounds

1 Like

Real nice👍🏼

1 Like

Thanks everybody!
Yeah, I plan to have a spectrum of sound going from ambient soundscapes to very rythmic techno without melodies even, I’m sure that with a nice arrangement and intelligent transition patterns I can cover a wide range of ambiances. Just have to see if I have what it takes :slight_smile:

very nice, keep it up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice work - some days I feel like I have a long way to go! I guess that’s part of (or maybe all of) the fun. Looking forward to creating my first tune with Digitone this weekend. I figure I should at least make some solo stuff before putting together with Digitakt or any other gear. Jam time coming!

Ok guys, first attempt here!
Just spent the afternoon creating transission patterns to try out what a set like that would sound like, here is the soundcloud link, please tell me what you think!

5 Likes

Great live set!!!
I really enjoyed listening

1 Like

Nice work.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

New attempt!
Different patterns, new transitions and discovering how to use the chain length parameter to change infinite polyrhyhmic patterns

3 Likes

Update!

I have recorded a video of what a full live set would look like at the moment. There are some mistakes in there, but hey, it’s live!
Everything is recorded straight from the Digitone to Ableton, where a bit of EQ and Compression has been applied.
Please pardon the mess on the desk and the weird focusing from my phone :slight_smile:

Would love to get some feedback! Cheers!

3 Likes

Nice tracks mate :+1:

The parts i liked most where when you also used Level A/B, the xy Mixer and LFO of course. So the sound is more evolving over time.

Maybe you can also use the fill mode for some improvements aswell.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!
Yeah, that’s what I aspire to do, have sounds slowly evolve to keep it interesting, I love that there are so many ways to do it subtly or drastically on this machine.
And sure, fill mode will have to be more extensively used,
Thanks for the feedback!

nice work! i enjoyed listening through it in the background, and i expect i will go through the set again more actively in the next couple of days.

no specific comments this first time around other than to say it’s great that you’re doing this – in my opinion there’s no better way to learn the tricks and features you find most useful, plus it gives non-owners like myself the chance to see and hear what a motivated composer can do with the instrument in a solo setting.

looking forward to your next iteration :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks !
I will try to improve on the patterns I have already (even though the urge to make more is strong :slight_smile: )

New recording!

5 Likes

I love it! amazing :slight_smile: