Create/imitate choral voice with my synth

Hello dear Elektronaut,

I would you to help me. Wether teach me or point me in the right direction to learn by myself, any of two would be appreciate.

I try to emulate kind of human voice with synth. Not talking voice but choral type. Like orchestral voices in Ligety’s requiem.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DwIZG1IcpR-4&ved=2ahUKEwjsvqHzj5vgAhWEAGMBHcQzC0wQwqsBMAB6BAgLEAU&usg=AOvVaw2VfBRBAGN1Aa5hxTbZi0lG&cshid=1549044382201

I try few things but never reach the begening of similar sounds. My voices are are always creamy, light or muddy, never bright and strong.

If one of you, more in the sound design could help me, would be appreciate.

Cheers

This topic has come up here in the past. This is a very difficult sound to synthesize with a traditional subtractive polysynth unless you are using some sort of sample based synth. My advice? Sample or use a vintage divide down unit.

2 Likes

Please tell us what type of synthesizer you are using. Wavetable and FM synthesis can create choir vocals very well, but analog subtractive synthesis is not nearly as successful.

Arturia Pigments, Monomachine DOUBLEDRAW engine, DSI Evolver are very good at choir vocals

1 Like

Sample can be a good idea. I remember in the past I had reason and there was really good choir male and female orchestral choirs in nn19 sampler.
:slight_smile:

I try with my Virus Snow on wich I have lot of waves, and specialy formant ones. But I d’ont find the sound I have in mind, near from the choirs without being to muddy. I have not the attack I want (slow ones are easy but the short ones are not satisfying) the sound globaly is too synth voices not enough clear, too muddy has I said. Maybe I d’ont have the right startpoint to begin my design. Or maybe I d’ont use the right fx or fx chain.
I’m a bit loosed in my poor design skills. So I just try here, cause google didn’t help me a lot. Lot of theory but so little teaching with the knobs.
But yes I did’nt try my Evolver.
But first, I try with my Virus cause i’m sure he can. So deep in design capability.
:+1:

An array of formant filters or additive synthesis (such as NI Razor) could probably get close. But I agree to use samples and a starting point and process them is the best way.

Is it sound like this?

Reason now comes with Humana vocal synth.

If you’re not on 10 yet you can try the demo for 30 days and see if it’s what you’re after or just record what you want and have done with it.
https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/tryreason

Sorry but I can’t listen to the sound you propose.
I’m glad that you, with your known talent for sound design, would try to help me. Very please of that :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link, that makes me dream and confirm that samples are certainly the best path to reach my aim. Sole problem, I don’t have computer no more since years…

Oh, it is true. Try downloading by right clicking.

Impossible to right clik. D’ont have computer, just a phone… sorry for being so under equiped.

1 Like

I also tried to imitate the sound of Requiem before, and I made wavetables of the chorus part of this song. The morphing sound of the wavetable was not good, but putting each wavetables in the sampler and shifting the fine tune extremely made it fairly well made.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks a lot for that path. I will try it with my OT
:slight_smile:

The Nord Wave has some very good choir sounds (sample-based as I recall, maybe mixed with wavetables) to use as a starting point too, though unfortunately I no longer have access to one to investigate further.

1 Like

Granular Synthesis is also good for Choir sound.

Even you don’t have a computer, maybe this gives you some inspiration for your OT.

1 Like

Wavetable
44.1khz-16bit-256sample

1 Like

Kimura taro, it is very nice to share your work. Marvelous :smiley_cat:.
I try this toonight with my OT and give return as soon as possible.
I’m very touched by this.

1 Like

During this week-end, i have try a lot of things with OT and the requiem wavs you gave me. Their are extracted from the exact song I was thinking of. So a good starting point. It remind me when I had the Monomachine in which I tested a lot of wav.
But it’s not a success. I don’t get near from the initial aim.
Obviously, I’m not a good sound designer yet.
But good news, I learn a lot on type of sounds I can have with OT and fx. It makes me better.

I gonna give another try next week-end and if I don’t reach my point, i’ll throw this choirs idea and go for another type of sound. My work must progress.
The best result have been obtain with my Virus, but it is far from my goal.
Nevermind, I learn a lot and will think about other path to obtain the right sound for my production.