Create a piano using samples

Still deciding whether to buy Digitakt…
Let’s say I sample each note of a piano and load each sample into the Digitakt… Can I make a playable piano on the Digitakt?
I’m not talking about sampling one note and playing it chromatically, I mean essentially making a sample kit of piano samples in order to have a playable piano on Digitakt

Hm, not really. You could load 8 different piano samples (1 on each track) and have access to those 8 notes but that’s it. You cannot assign 1 sample per note on your keyboard because that’s not how MIDI works on the Digitakt. :confused:

However you can get some great result by playing samples chromatically (I just made this jam with a kind of glitchy/broken piano in the intro).

Just to clarify… If I want to build a drum kit with regular drums on one track of the Digitakt, I can assign a different sound to each button right?
I’m asking because on the Digitone a track can only play one sound… using different sounds on it involves using the sound pool, but if I want different sounds to play on each button of a track I can’t do that.
Is it the same on the Digitakt?

Yes, similar workflow as the Digitone : each track is strictly monophonic and has one main sound, you can put other sounds on a specific step of the sequencer but you can’t directly access those sounds from a key press (hope that makes sense!).

I’m confused… then how is this guy playing the beat?
If each track is strictly monophonic, then shouldn’t each button be making the same sound?

Any specific timestamp? The video is quite long!

But anyway each track is monophonic, it can only play one sample at a time. But you got 8 different tracks and they can have different samples and settings. So yeah you can create a kit with 8 totally different sounds and access them all at the same time. :slight_smile:

at 5:35 he plays a beat using different buttons that each make different sounds… do you mean to say that each one of these buttons is actually playing an individual track?

Yeah exactly, buttons 1 to 8 correspond to the 8 audio tracks and buttons 9 to 16 correspond to the 8 MIDI tracks!

2 Likes