Cre8audio East Beast & West Pest

Yeah, they wrote me as well. It was late at night here, so I haven’t had time to test it.

Yeah, I didn’t go so deem. I use dawless setup and didn’t have any usb-b cables at hand. But based on what they replied, it was exactly what you are saying. It should be fixed in the latest firmware 0.9.

1 Like

Ok, tried the update. This made it worse. The sound is much lower and the notes is now just hanging with infinite release… I’m sending this back to thomann.

Sorry to hear that. For me it seems to be resolved after update. Even the constant humming is much more manageable, only noticeable in absolute silence when the Digitakt compressor is all the way wet.

Although, I had to use a Windows machine for some reason the Mac updater wouldn’t open for me.

West Pest sound source was always audible for me, like a filter that never closed. The dealer told me this was inherent in West Coast style synthesis, in that it uses optics to pass a signal (my words, not theirs), and so there’s some bleed… I guess I could have fed WP’s output through some compressor/gate or another device’s filter, but I didn’t want to get that complicated with it…

Did not notice this on East Beast…

1 Like

West Pest is at the top of my “definitely getting” list. It’s ticking a lot of my boxes, I like things that are:

1. Affordable
  2. Semi modular
  3. Yellow
    4…Weird

Always wanted that plucky, pingy, foldy, snappy west coast Buchla sound… wanted to go beyond Volca level but not yet Make Noise.

I can think of no other synth on my list that gets all four. Not the Syntakt, SoftPop 2 or Folktek Mescaline. Even if there was another synth that got 1 and 2 and 4, would it come in yellow? That’s important

2 Likes

Didn’t have any issues when using the WP with a Keystep but when trying it with the Digitakt I got this odd behaviour with hanging notes (pressing a pad on the DT would send a note on signal but releasing the pad would send another note on signal resulting in constant sound from the WP). The update resolved this issue for me and I didn’t experience any other issues so far.

It doesn’t work on newer Macs or latest OS versions. Tried it with my old Macbook with 10.13. and that worked without any issues.

3 Likes

FYI - I had the same issue on my mac and emailed Cre8Audio support. They got back to me really quickly advising that I download the Niftykeys firmware update and open the Multichip updater from that file instead, but then drop in the West Pest file. Worked like a charm

1 Like

Also - anyone else having a problem with the note values being fed into West Pest appearing in a much higher octave? i.e. you send it a C1 and it comes out more like a C4 or C5?

I’ve also got the Nifty Case and I’m synching the clock to it over Midi from the digitakt. I’ve got a couple of Euroack modules and I’ve tried sending CV to the pitch for the West Pest and everything is in a super high register! Resorted back for now to just sending the notes over Midi from a Digitakt channel, and although I love the DT sequencer, I kinda wana use my eurorack gear a bit for sequencing sometimes as they have some nice randomised functions you just don’t really get from the DT

Have you found a solution for this? I’m trying to send pitch information over CV and everything is coming out in a much higher register than what’s being sent

My trouble was with midi specifically, and what cre8audio posted shortly after that post of mine solved it — blue (on the beast) function key + octave down as needed. I wouldn’t have thought CV would do that. Hope it’s a quick fix for you. I’d suggest sending them an email, support was top notch the one time I needed it.

Something to check! In the latest Sonic Lab, looks like you can really get a crazy transpose range on CV (around 11 minute mark): Cre8audio East Beast and West Pest Synth voices - Sonic LAB Review - YouTube. Maybe your transpose needs to be reset?

2 Likes

You know what man I had an email back from Cre8audio customer care about 10 minutes before you sent this with the exact same thing!

Haven’t tried it yet but will give it a go tomorrow. Makes sense to me so fingers crossed it’ll work

1 Like

Yep that fixed it. Basically when you control the pitch over CC, the built in keyboard effectively works as a transposer. So at some point I must have pressed a key really high up and that resulted in the overall pitch from the sequence sent over CV to be pitched up

Kinda cool I guess that you can jist transpose a sequence on the fly using the keyboard but massively threw me for a while!

1 Like

UPDATE: returned mine, unfortunately. Sounded good when it worked but on the 2nd day the sequencer just wouldn’t play. Couldn’t input any notes or get sound. No cables patched, checked all knob settings, secondary functions. May have been some user error involved but if so there was no way to tell from the interface. Had some difficulty with syncing as well, a few other issues, general confusion and befuddlement. Maybe its me, maybe i wasn’t as ready to go out west as i thought. Will consider giving it a second chance someday.

1 Like

Here’s another demo:

Reading up on the West Pest, most literature states that the LPG is vactrol-free … so I’m still confused about whether the bleed was “by design” or not…?

Just finished my first attempt at a redesigned panel for the East Beast. It sounds so good and looks so bad (to me!) that it was a great opportunity to apply some of my design + UI experience to something physical.

I decided to go a little crazy with the color (inspired by the Boss phaser pedal) to compliment the stock green knobs. I don’t necessarily love how it looks with the blue knobs so might end up swapping the knobs out alto or just sanding it down and starting all over again!

I definitely made some errors throughout the process, but I learned a lot of things I would do differently next time.

I’d love to do more panel design in the future, so I’m using these two synths as case studies.
Just ordered the West Pest, hope it goes well!

13 Likes

SEAHAWKS BABY!

once again the above is obviously a complete sentence and an important one too

Oh no! Now I have to change the knobs or repaint it lol

1 Like