COSMOS by Soma

4 Likes

Not really sure what I’ve preordered :grimacing::rofl:

9 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes

Have you made the payment?

No mate. Just send your details through (name, address, phone, email and PayPal email)

1 Like

I have. Just got a reply.

1 Like

Frippertronics ??

2 Likes
5 Likes

Has quite a lot in common with this beast from 15-20 years back.
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/fs-uk-maneco-filter-eko-ii-mad-dangerous-vintage-looper-sold/149582

2 Likes

It’s not for me but it looks like a lot of fun.

5 Likes

That looks like an entertaining lineup, minus the “how to build a Hardware Synth Setup” portion of it.

Studio Berlin has an especially :fire: looking schedule.

That does seem to be the rap on Soma stuff, and I don’t disagree with it exactly. Take the Lyra-8: it has a certain each-time-is-the-same quality to it, but that’s more sonic niche than literal repetition. I mean, it always sounds great and it’s a classic that lots of people are still willing to purchase in neon pink and whatnot. It’s well-made and you pay a premium price, but if you want to do that at that level of quality, where else are you going to go? Plus, the more you work with it, the more you can make it less same-y. Pulsar is the same thing, just prohibitively expensive, or else all the Lyra buyers would go for it because where else can you get a drum machine with such a full suite of real-time performer’s features? The live loopers are way underused in all the demos–external CV, too–while we all regret that it doesn’t quite sound good enough to be used simply as a utility drum machine. Soma’s gear is niche, which means they’re not as flexible as you’d like for the price, but they do what nothing else does, plus you’re guaranteed it will be fun doing it when Vlad has his name on it.

This Cosmos is more of the same: lovely and engaging sonic territory, but the demos seem same-y. Well, bebop jazz seems same-y too in its own way. At the price—and considering the confidence in quality inspired by the Soma label—I find this gizmo a no-brainer. Not so much for establishing and using its textures which are wonderful, though not themselves worth the price of admission, but for interacting with the Cosmos in live performance. It’s not clear how things will go on that count. For example, it better be reasonably easy to make significant and smooth transitions because I’d rather hang myself than be trapped in the same key or tonality for 20 minutes against my will. I also wonder what you can do with it using live, expressive percussion. I’m concerned that non-pitched instruments will lead too easily to cosmic obliteration while trying to work with and against the delay presets. But then there are also monophonic expressive instruments via wind or MPE controller that could make for far better solo performances than loopers, which I personally don’t like very much. Guitarists might like that angle, but I shy away from guitar these days, not just because I suck, but also because I only want to bother with stuff having more expressive features, i.e., persistent, “always on” tone modulation like you get with winds or bowed strings, but not with plucked or hammered strings. Yes, I understand guitar and piano are perfectly expressive, just not with my chops.

In any case, even if those demos leave me with significant questions, I will say bitchin’ 335.

3 Likes

This was totally “inspired” by Terry Riley’s “Time-Lag Accumulator” tape system.

Edit: I like Fripp/Eno’s work (especially Evening Star) in case above comment comes across as a bit salty.

4 Likes

This looks really neat, except looking at the manual as far as I can tell, you can’t actually change the delay time in any way? I know it modulates the delays anyway but it seems really odd not to be able to sync it. So you’d kind of end up having to play in time with what the COSMOS is doing? Or am I missing something?

:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Admittedly I’ve only had the Lyra8 for a bit over a week, but I’m actually quite surprised how versatile it is. Sure, it has a really recognizable timbre, but thanks to the 8 voices as well as the delay, LFO’s and distortion it can fill so many roles: piercing leads, backround atmospherics, crazy bass rumblings (when sampled can be used for traditional bass lines), or just all around industrial mayhem, no overdubs or other elements needed. Definitely not a one trick pony or same-y. It’s more like a guitar, on it’s own pretty recognizable but so expressive that it doesn’t matter.

4 Likes

Am liking mine. The inability to balance levels between voices is driving me a bit mad. But otherwise it is a pretty functional instrument. It seems to evoke the spirit of the lost musical genius that was Kendra Smith for me (for some strange reason). Must be the battered harmonium type sounds you can sometimes coax out of it:

Agreed, that’s the only obvious thing I’d like it to have, dedicated volume knobs for each voice.

1 Like

Looks like a good candidate to substitute for my Ciat Lonbarde Cocolase.

Cocolase was designed with a similar “anti-looper” aesthetic. Like COSMOS, it defies any attempt to build a song, one track at a time, in the way more conventional loopers like the Boss series, tc electronic Ditto, etc. are designed. Cocolase can record whatever you feed into it, but it decides on its own when to repeat certain slices of the recording. It does a lot of things on its own and all you can do as a user is influence it. Pretty much the diametric opposite of loopers designed for control freaks.

As much as our band loves the Cocolase’s quirky behavior and gritty 8-bit sound, if we ever get touring I’m not sure it would tolerate the punishment. COSMOS looks more road worthy.

3 Likes

Hey blipson — Taking your list of very legitimate concerns, would it be safe to consider things other than the COSMOS, that might be able to get to some of the same territory, but perhaps with a little more “control” ?

Others here will have other possible suggestions, but i‘ve come up with two, albeit much more costly.

Both the Tasty Chips GR-1 (with an added USB audio interface), and the Waldorf Iridium, allow for live input into their granular synth engines. By choosing the right settings and modulations, it’s possible to get effects not too dissimilar to the COSMOS. (I’ve put video links for these two, showing their live granular capabilities.)

They both would lack qualities in the COSMOS, but bring other capabilities, like pitched tonalities, and certainly in the case of the Iridium, the other synthesis options. These are in another price category, so i’m not going to make unfair comparison, i am only considering alternatives.

That all said, the COSMOS has its own thing going on !

2 Likes