COSMOS by Soma

As much as highly appreciate Vlad’s attitude of subverting conservative conventions in electronic instrument designs, I must admit that this esotheric marketing reminds me of everything that conspiracy theorists and weird covid deniers are talking. Just call it what it is and cut away the enigmatic advertising…

It a looper with no sync. has different length loops and big reverb. PLZ Buy.

Doesn’t have the same “zing” to it.

3 Likes

I couldn’t disagree with this more. What conspiracy theories is he cooking up by having some creative copy for a new product? I see it as an artist being creative. Over at Monome, they talk in poems. During the Strega teasers, Make Noise was all about “alchemy”. They are showing us why they create interesting and unique instruments, and don’t work for a big corporation. Otherwise, everyone would just be Roland announcing stuff at the NAMM show.

The best part about Soma, is that you just have to email them to get on the list. No money upfront. So if you are hesitant, you lose nothing, and in the meantime someone like Loopop explains it to all of us in great detail.

And why did Picasso have to venture into Cubism, when those paintings were not an accurate representation of what those people actually looked like?

13 Likes

Myths surrounding tools and tool use is ancient phenomena.

Thor and his _________. The Grim Reaper and his _________. King Arthur and his _____ named _________.

Soma does it better than any other synth company these days, and I love it. It doesn’t remind me of political shenanigans at all.

5 Likes

Interesting, but I’m still waiting for a sign of life from the ENNER device project…

1 Like

Here’s something to keep you occupied when yr high, hah. I suspect it’s a fun device to play with, but most likely has such an original sound that it will overpower everything else if you want to use it in a song with other elements. I’m kind of afraid that’s the care with Lyra8 too, but at least you can control it pretty well if you know what you’re doing.

1 Like

Now imagine Lyra 8 through this thing :sunglasses:

7 Likes

I’m sure it would sound awesome for the first time, maybe the second or third or w/e but in the end I want to buy gear that I can at least somewhat control, as total improvisation and droning ambience IMO gets old pretty fast. I don’t just want to push a button and twist some knobs while really having no idea what’s coming out next. I mean don’t get me wrong, I wish I had enough money to just buy every stoner toy that picques my interest, but alas I don’t.

4 Likes

I’m imagining it going into the Waldorf Quantum/Iridium’s Particle Engine (Granular)

4 Likes

Absolutely, my comment was a bit of a tongue in cheek response to your uncontrollable statement, as in uncontrollable x uncontrollable = uncontrollable² = what mayhem might that produce (good or bad).

I haven’t put my name on the list for this (for now).

2 Likes

Vlad will present Cosmos at Keys and Frequencies today

I made also a thread for this event here on Elektronauts:

8 Likes

Synth youtuber all star event!

Nice Ensoniq vibes on the YT page.

8 Likes

Stompbox Clouds? Seems to be a good idea.

2 Likes

But will it levitate the Pentagon?

2 Likes

It’s a niche instrument for artists, not so much a commodity device. I can get the conventional anywhere else!

1 Like

13 Likes

Looks awesome, I like his ideas

1 Like

The demos leave me thinking

(1) it is more lovely than I expected
(2) it is reassuringly hefty
(3) despite that it is more expensive one trick toy than useful instrument
(4) £600 after tax and shipping is pushing it a bit
(5) if I ever get GAS for one I’ll plug my Buddha box into an echo pedal, close my eyes and pretend

3 Likes

Maneco already does this. Although with knob aesthetics so dodgy you couldn’t ever buy one

1 Like