CoronaVirus Thread

Last weekend I drank two beers. Usually it’s just the one.
I’ve doubled my alcohol intake.

4 Likes

The only time I’ve been really anxious is on particularly bad post-rave comedowns. These experiences were enough for me to have immense sympathy for anyone who suffers from genuine anxiety. The strength required to just get on with your day to day business must be exhausting. I think the important thing is that people know you are feeling anxious, as this can often help to rationalise any intrusive thoughts.

Oddly, I’ve barely had a drink since this all started, despite having a cupboard full of very nice Kentucky Bourbon.

3 Likes

In other news, I’ve been washing my hands like a butcher with OCD all week and my skin is fuuuuuucked. Burning and itching like all the STD’s at once.
My wife just found some hydrocortisone cream at the back of the cupboard. I’ve never loved her more.

1 Like

But then again I have a weird history with alcohol anyways. My parents used quite a lot of alcohol and I remeber vaguely many drunken party nights at our home when I was just a toddler. I didn’t like the things I was seeing and decided to never start drinking. All of my classmates started at 12-14 years old, I spent my time playing role playing games and computer games with likeminded nerds. I was straight edge before I ever even heard of Ian McKaye. (Huge fan of his music nowadays. Fugazi is the best!)

I was 23 years old when I drank alcohol for the first time ever. After that I became a dj and did that for 18 years. Had 5 gigs a week at worst. That teached me to drink and smoke (cigarettes). Drank 5-10 beers every weekend for years just to stay awake in the dj booth. I had some good times though, won’t deny that.

After quitting dj business in 2017 I basically quit drinking too. I really like to go to the finnish sauna and for that I usually buy one good beer and for our Battletech game nights I get a couple of tasty beers, but otherwise I’m basically tee-total. I’ve never tried any drugs as I hate the feeling of losing control of myself. I need to always feel in control of the things I do or say. Alcohol is bad enough, I don’t really need any other substances.

In Finland it’s basically customary to drink yourself to death so I’m a bit of an oddball here. I haven’t felt the urge to get wasted yet due to coronavirus-related anxiety but there is this one work related thing that really really makes me want to get shitfaced ATM.

2 Likes

So the media and Mr. President can term it now the US virus?! I get some strange “history repeated” feeling … :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

2 Likes

An article on the NYT about all the deaths in Spanish nursing homes, also mentions France and Italy not listing all corona deaths, only those happening in hospitals.

What the article do not mention is how the public health system we were once proud of has been slowly neglected in favour of private health care, specially in places run by Spanish conservative party PP; like Madrid where they have been in power for 30 years and now is the epicentre of the disaster. Most of this nursing homes are privately run and make it to the news from time to time because of the way our elders are being treated

Also in today news is reported how many private clinics (many in Madrid)are closing because some surgery/treatments have been delayed and workers are forced to take a vacation/leave, instead of using this clinics to fight coronavirus. They always say privately run health care is more efficient, but what they do not say is costly treatments (organ transplants and such) are always derived to public hospital, leaving for the private institution the profitable ones.

Health is human right, not a business; this is what we have always defended.

3 Likes

Quite the opposite! Lockdown has removed a couple of hours commute for me so that means a nice long outdoor dog walk in the morning and every other night a cycle on the turbo. I’ve decided to drop fizzy juice (I was a 4 litres+ a day man… seriously…). I’ve done a hell of a lot more cooking and snacking less. I’m actually enjoying this enforced lifestyle change for now.

If I’m not like Adonis by the time lockdown is over I’ll be sorely disappointed…

2 Likes

If the time comes he will say " This virus is so strong because was made in the US, if it was made in china this crisis would already be over. Once again US has proved to provide better quality products than China, that we should be proud of" Mr :duck::trumpet:

6 Likes

I can relate to some of that. My parents love a drink. In their prime they were arguably borderline alcoholics drinking every night. That has put me off social/home drinking for life. I simply didn’t want to end up that way. Didn’t touch alcohol until I was 17 or so.

Now, I still get shit faced like the best of us but not very often. Booze is a means to an end for me. I’ll go out with mates maybe 5 or 6 times a year now to get absolutely slaughtered and blow off steam. I’m like Frank the Tank from Old School.

2 Likes

My parents were tea total.
Me and both my brothers were absolute savages with drink and drugs.
Don’t know if the two facts are related.

4 Likes

haha, small to “normal” doses of THC won’t interfere with that at all (as opposed to really large doses I saw some long-time weed addicts smoking); the result usually is that you have the opportunity to shift your PoV to see things at a different angle, but it’s you who does the actual shift.
So yeah, bright future lies ahead of you :wink:

Wait, what? O_o

I know there’s a health care.
And then there’s business on health of others (read: bloody money).
They have drastically different goals.
It’s obvious, isn’t it?

edit 1: or maybe you mean financial “health” of some private entrepreneurs?
edit 2: “They always say private health system is more efficient” - oh yeah, for them it is, I guess. Bad me, should’ve read your message in full 1st, then reply.

1 Like

IMO there are a couple of things, which can harm a community massively, if they are run as “business” only, or even are in the hands of ruthless managers:

• supply of clean water
  • medical health care
  • education
  • basic supply of energy / electricity
  • maybe more …

And did I mention “news services”? Well at least a system of free and reputable journalists is mandatory to have a chance to get decent news …

I hope that a majority will re-think some of our western blue-prints of economy after the crisis. There must be an ethical standard in the future for “making business”, which makes business beneficial for men and not for Wall Streat only.

3 Likes

Jo, jo; I know what I mean, I do not know if I write it the right way though…:upside_down_face:
I know one word wrong can change the meaning of a sentence, lets say my spanglish is better than my english

1 Like

Connor knows singing “imagine” is worth less than fuck all.

3 Likes

So many celebrities in their giant homes, without any pets, and still managing to step right in it

I totally abused of my favorite hydroalcoholic solution yesterday. As I was already drinking too much, especially when anxious, I have to be careful.

3 Likes

A new experimental treatment consisting of blood transfusion from covid19 survivors may start soon, in Spain may start in a week if approved, in US maybe before. Was used in 1918 flu pandemic with success.

Meanwhile here in Spain we are already over 55.000 positives (8.500 just today), 31.000 in hospital, 3.600 in ICU (Spain has 4400 ICU beds) and 4000 deaths; the only positive news is 7.000 have already recovered and today´s deaths went down to 650 from 750 yesterday…for a country with 1/8th of US population is quite a lot…

I hope this is all over by the 12th of April like Trump says… ( :arrow_left: Sarcasm)

4 Likes

I hope it is over tomorrow but it’s not up to me, or Trump, or any one person.

5 Likes

1 Like