Copy paste patterns without stopping the sequence

Is there a way to copy and paste patterns in the Octatrack without having to stop the sequence o change to a blank pattern? Similar like in maschine in which you are playing a pattern and you can duplicate or copy paste a pattern without having the need to change to a blank pattern.

Hope I explain myself here.

1 Like

No. There’s been much discussion over this feature, and it’s #1 on many peoples wish lists. Hope Elektron hears us out.

2 Likes

#1 on my wish list for ALL elektrons.

2 Likes

Lets all keep our fingers crossed…we know from the (b) update that they are still actively developing the OT’s OS .

I think that’s the main obstacle, they probably feel that if they do it on one they will have to do it on all of them.
I would love this feature on the OT though… and on the others just in case I get another one someday :slight_smile:

1 Like

i really miss this from Maschine…

Why do you think it hasn’t been implemented yet? I’m sure there will be a reason but with how I use my OT, it’d def be a great feature!

i guess with the current logic it’ll require a 3 button combo <func+pattern+copy/paste>

and yes - this would be such a cool feature to have
elektron? tak!

Yeah! +1 for this feature. Regardless how crazy the button. combo might be. It would just help so much with live improvisation and pattern creation on the fly.

Not necessarily, seeing as the function “copy” is little use without “paste” it could be a tick box in the menu of “auto copy to…”
It would mean you execute copy and then when you move to a new pattern the paste part is done automatically on the assumption that you wouldn’t have copied if you didn’t then want to paste it to the place you are heading.,

1 Like

There is an undo paste! :alien:

Hi there, im pretty new to the machine so please forgive me if i ask silly questions!
For live improvisations i want to make a copy of the pattern that is playing to modify it. I read in another thread that it is impossible to edit a copy of the playing pattern without switching to that copy. so far so bad. but then i found that while running the sequencer i could not even make a copy of the playing pattern at all:
so i have the original running, the record led is off, i hit function+copy and it actually says “copy pattern” on the sreen. I then switch to the next empty pattern (that will start playing only after the current pattern is through) and hit function+paste, again it actually says “paste pattern” on the screen, but when the sequence switches to the new pattern it is actually epmty. it works fine when not playing but as soon as the sequencer plays it seems the opration doesnt do anything. it is the same it have the rec led on and would thus be copying tracks instead of patterns. any important thing i could have overlooked? im still on os 1.25E

You always have the option of sampling the current pattern and playing the sample as you switch to another :slight_smile:

As for paste-to-new … idk … I would like to know also!

1 Like

„…it actually says “paste pattern” on the screen, but when the sequence switches to the new pattern it is actually epmty.”

Make sure:
Pattern is playing sounds.
Rec button lid is off.
Copy pattern.
Switch to new empty patern.
Don’t paste yet. Let empty pattern start. Empty pattern plays.
Now paste onto pattern.
New pattern is now copy of previous.

It should work so.

3 Likes

So the actual pasting happened to the old pattern, because it was still playing?

3 Likes

okay now i get what the whole problem is all about. So the pasting happens only to the sequence that is currently playing! so it basically overwrites the pattern with a copy of itself. and also a track with a looped smple of the previous pattern keeps the audio of the old pattern running after it finishes. A bit extrawork but since i have a machine set up for resampling it is quite easy! thanks!

2 Likes

if you know your patterns you can time it with no real or noticeable gap, if you don’t know your patterns too well you can watch the sequence for the longest machine scale and then hit paste upon change

I WISH they would implement properly but whatever, i can get around it

Hang on a second, I’m a new OT owner here and I’ve just come to the forum looking to see what i’m doing wrong - there’s really no way of creating a new pattern that’s a copy of the playing pattern without first playing an empty new pattern before you paste into it?

Is it just me or is this a bonkers omission in a nearly brilliant “live performance” sampling machine?

Please tell me I’ve got something wrong here!?

1 Like

Really? Isn’t the new pattern inactive until step 1 is played? usually the step with an important down-beat?

Don’t forget you can sample and loop the main outs pretty easily to get around stuff like this :slight_smile:

2 Likes