Copy MIDI pattern arrangements separate from audio tracks?

I suspect the answer to this is going to be ‘no’, but I’m going to ask anyway.

My workflow: I write arrangements across a bunch of patterns on the Octatrack using the audio tracks, then I go back and use the accompanying MIDI tracks to trigger LED strips.

The problem: If I want to replicate the same MIDI arrangements from pattern to pattern (e.g. copying the notes on MIDI tracks 1-8 from pattern 1 to patterns 2, 3, and 4… I have to manually rewrite all of the triggers for each track on each pattern that I want to replicate. If I copy the pattern… it copies the audio patterns as well - which obviously isn’t good.

The question: Is there an easier way that I can copy and paste the MIDI patterns from one pattern to another, without also carrying over the audio track patterns?

Thanks in advance for any tips!!

Copy and paste scale set up button. This allows you to copy paste entire pages of trigs.

Then you can copy paste TRACK.

And bingo your midi track settings and pattern data are done.

Much quicker than copying individuals trigs.

1 Like

Yep, hold PAGE + record to copy, then you can paste it in a track without copying the whole pattern.

Although this only works one page at a time, so if you’re trying to move around 64 steps of trigs then it’s still going to be a bit of a pain.

And if you want to rather copy the entire track sequence, not page by page, select the MIDI track, turn step record on, FUNC+COPY, select another pattern, FUNC+PASTE. This will copy the entire sequence for that MIDI track, and only paste that on to another track.

Unfortunately, that seems to copy all of the audio track data as well. Unless I am doing it wrong D:

Page Copy definitely is faster than re-writing the trigs individually, so that’s a start!! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Enter grid node, FN+copy: this will copy the whole Track trigs.
Select the destination track, grid mode, Fn+paste, and you’re good.

If you’re not in grid mode, Fn+copy copies the whole pattern.

Page copy is good to duplicate one page on another, but not fast enough.

2 Likes

“Turn step record”, as in press the record button where you add and remove trigs, Grid Recording…

1 Like

Aha, thank you. I’ll try that out. I appreciate it!