Convince Me to Keep My DT in Light of the Toraiz SP-16

I see what you mean now.

It helps a lot in deciding what to get, as I was in between the DT, the OT and the Sp16

I have the Rytm mk2 and I don’t like it much ( I know it is not a proper sampler per se)

I found the overall sound of the Rytm too muddy, the low frequencies are enhanced too much.

Coming from the Akai S series and EMU samplers, I agree with you that a sampler should not color the sound, should not sound too hifi and not too polished or muddy.

2 Likes

Although I do think it has several really strong points (and some strong flaws) this has always been one thing about the SP16 that I mention to people.

It has a great sound.

3 Likes

I’ve a friend who uses one alongside cdjs for dj/live and it’s great because the sp sounds club ready as you point out and sounds seamless next to purchased releases from labels.

Not loads of room for sonic exploration but if making straight up house and techno I guess that’s not as important.

Great that there is a sampling option for all tastes.

I’ve opted for a 1010 bitbox as my latest purchase. Helped by enjoying your blackbox productions.

2 Likes

Pioneer might have put a very good D/A, I wonder how they kept the price competitive.

At first I don’t think it was as competitively priced.

The original price was around £1600 which I don’t think helped. Also it had a lot of the current features added through updates so the original was somewhat barebones.

I assumed the lower price was to try and help sales of remaining stock, but have no idea really. It was a massive drop to be honest.

1 Like

Yes even £1600 is not too high if there is a more than decent A/D D/A and the Dave Smith Filters.

I sold digitakt and am getting ready to get the sp16 or the octatrack mk2.I like the immediacy of toraiz.but the sound of the octatrack is deeper in the processing.sure the sp16 will definitely be the winner.

1 Like

Let us know how you will get on with the SP16

The sound and the GUI are the winning points of the SP16 I reckon

1 Like

Hmm, tough call in some ways. You clearly like it in spite of it’s near lack of potential use. I’d say unless your just pressed for the cash, store it. I have an OT mk2, I sold my DT as a part of paying for the OT and as a result of no insurance on shipping I ended up losing my money on it as it was ‘lost’, cough stolen, in transit.

Not that you would have a problem like that, but even though I’m a novice hobbiest, I would have kept it if I could have and wished I could swap back at times feeling uninspired by the OT as it is just more sluggish b/c of setup/templating, and even the smaller size of the DT made it’s complexities feel more approachable.

Maybe just having it out is nagging you to justify having it when you don’t ‘need’ it, but maybe you enjoy it enough and can afford the luxry of having it around but just put it away so it’s not bogging down your flow by sitting there in front of you.

I’d say try that and see how you feel about selling it after a bit if the money isn’t hanging over your head. I loved rocking the DT and OT side by side when I did have them both. It was like I had built my musical
Elektron-Voltron.

2 Likes