Convince me that an OT was not a mistake

That sounds super interesting. So plocking video? Is that a thing? Would love to see this.

1 Like

This sounds really rad. Can we trouble you for a video on how youā€™ve worked this out? Octatrack controlling visualizations sounds like a dream.

3 Likes

Just a couple weeks ago I was driving myself insane saying ā€œis it not possible to record a neighbor track?! I have T3 as a neighbor track, and T4 set up to record T3 but no audio is being recorded! What the hell?ā€

Turns out when I manually recorded (instead of grid/step recording) I pressed T3 + Input ABā€¦Whoops.

1 Like

program changes work from the DT and DN to each other with program change send and received set to Auto in both. Theres no creative benefit imo to making hardware more difficult.

As @Schnork already tried to explain: this AUTO setting doesnā€™t mean automatic, but refers to the AUTO channel. It only works when the AUTO channel is also configured to the same channel number on both devices. There is no hidden communication going on between the two devices.

7 Likes

There is really nothing on the simpler Elektrons (DT, DN, M:S and M:C) which could be viewed as ā€˜making hardware more difficultā€™ imho and the complex architecture of the bigger boxes is merely a consequence of their enormous flexibility.

There are only 16 midi channels per midi port, 128 midi notes, 128 midi cc messages and 128 programs in 128 banks. There is midi clock, start/stop/restart messages. (Some parameters on Elektrons can be controlled with NRPN, but mostly thatā€™s all we have to deal with).
Thatā€™s quite simple frankly and the midi side on Elektron gear is not their work. All manufacturers have to implement midi according to official midi specifications.

Iā€™m not trying to be a dick, but Elektron gear is really pretty straight-forwardā€¦

3 Likes

Itā€™ll be a while before I have things at the point where i can put a video together about it but I do plan on doing that. As of now Iā€™m not using the Octatrack for visuals at all, just for live looping audio, but Iā€™m hoping to find a way to work it in to the video side of things.

Iā€™m hoping that using trigless trigs to trigger an LFO in hold or trig mode will do what I want without locking up r_e_c_u_r but I havenā€™t had a chance to try it yet.

Sort of, Iā€™ve been using MIDI CC to change the playback location in long videos, basically using them kind of like sample chains in the Octatrack. Pretty basic stuff if youā€™re using a laptop or desktop based system but I try to avoid computers on the performance side of things, and using single-purpose Rapsberry Pis with no monitors (other than a small, text mode display on the one that Iā€™m using for video playback) makes them feel like dedicated hardware even though theyā€™re technically general purpose computers.

Iā€™ve been doing some music-and-video livestreams with a sort of space-rock duo but for now Iā€™m not really sharing them around much since weā€™re still figuring out a lot of stuff. If you want to check out what weā€™ve done so far there are VODs here and we stream at 2:30 EST every Tuesday right now. Over the next couple weeks Iā€™m going to switch to 720p with thumbnails of live cameras in the margin, just waiting on a cheap HDMI capture dongle and we have to work out what service to use for his video feed (all of the music is done remotely - heā€™s in France and Iā€™m in the USA) and work out the amount of latency compensation so his camera stays roughly in sync with his audio (approximate network latency plus the Ninjam loop interval). That plus I need to get a second Nanokontrol and build a couple things before my video setup will really be where I want it for the time being.

When all of thatā€™s done Iā€™ll start making some prepared content.

2 Likes

I made this 10 years ago, controlled by an MC 909, midi controlling Archaos VJ and lights.
Mapping made with After Fx from photos.
Wanted to add a midi guitar control but it didnā€™t work for the live.

So now I want to do it with OT! A Raspberry instead of Windows PC, yes.

6 Likes

Wasnt trying to argue or disagree, but pointing out that sending PC messages between Digi machines works with channels set to auto. Thats it. It works in those machines and doesnt in the OT.

I may have misunderstood @schnork, but I thought they were saying that its not possible and that theres a creative benefit to difficult workflows.

Thatā€™s because choosing AUTO for this setting in the OT doesnā€™t mean ā€œuse the AUTO CHANNELā€ like on the DN & DT, but (from the OT manual):

If AUTO is chosen the first MIDI channel used by the audio tracks, and not used by any of the MIDI tracks, will be used.

Naming this option also AUTO (like in AUTO CHANNEL) is, of course, very misleading when you donā€™t check the manual what it means regarding this setting.

5 Likes

indeed! esp when it apparently means something else in other elektron devices!

but also makes no difference once you know. ha its like everything on the OT does make sense - it just defines its own internal rules and logic unlike any other.
thanks

Nice. Yeah, itā€™s a tradeoff - you can do a LOT more with a PC, even with free software, but thereā€™s a small but vibrant RPi video synthesis ecosystem growing and they have the advantage of being small, affordable and once you have things set up they definitely feel more like dedicated hardware.

I do plenty of stuff ITB for audio and video but on the performance side (whether itā€™s playing live/streaming, or just recording an overdub) I try to engage with computers as little as possible, simply because I feel like I work better that way. The way my home studio is set up I pretty much have to keep my back to the DAW when Iā€™m playing an instrument.

If youā€™re interested in live video on the RPi you should absolutely check out https://andreijaycreativecoding.com/ - his stuff is really good, very reliable, and the turnkey systs he offers ae actually really fairly if you donā€™t want to DIY (I already had half the stuff I needed so Iā€™ve only done the DIY route so far). They seem a little expensive for a Raspberry Pi until you actually look at the price of the video capture pi hats he uses. When you add everything up, including the custom enclosure, heā€™s selling them pretty close to cost, but itā€™s all open source so if you want to make your own itā€™s definitely possible and not too hard. Iā€™ve been using auto_waaave inside of a feedback loop (Iā€™ve got the monitor out from one mixer going to an input of a second mixer, and then that mixerā€™s output going to the auto_waaave and from there back to an input on the first mixer, so I can have feedback inside of feedback, and a bunch of other things) and Iā€™m working on building a spectral_mesh but I still need to get a controller for it and figure out how to best integrate it into the setup since Iā€™m out of mixer inputs.

EDIT: just to be clear, r_e_c_u_r works really well, too. The stability problems I have are because Iā€™m completely misusing it and everything I do is based on a feature that was added quickly by a comunity member because I suggested it. Basically itā€™s not designed for anything like the kind of MIDI control Iā€™m doing and itā€™s really easy to flood it with data, but sing it the way itā€™s meant to be used itā€™s really effective and reliable in my experience. A bit more DIY heavy than the Andrei Jay stuff but very good. Iā€™m also in a sort of a bind with it because I canā€™t easily update, since the dev version changed the numpad handling code a fair amount and I modified it in the version I use so that it will work with a larger keypad than it was designed for, but because of the changes I canā€™t just update and then drop my code back in easily. Eventually Iā€™ll go through the trouble (or just switch to a smaller keypad) because the latest dev version has options for mapping MIDI notes to control values in ways that the release version canā€™t and that would be a big improvement for my purposes.

Anyway, before I discovered r_e_c_u_r I was looking at othe rPI based video players, mostly aimed at gallery installations, and they were all really expensive (the cheapest one is an LZX turnkey thing thatā€™s, and the only other viable option I found was technically open source but hadnā€™t been updated in so long that half of the LARGE number of dependencies you need to compile it arenā€™t available anymore, there is no precompiled image available, and the developer wants $100 for a preconfigured SD card or $500-$800 for a Pi3 with an SD card and custom case and seems to actively discourage people from building and sharing even though it was released as open source). In both cases, r_e_c_u_r does exponentially more and all you need to do to get it running is burn an image, get a suitable screen and keypad, and edit a few config files.

3 Likes

Told you!

1 Like

I love this idea. Nice vids too. :+1: Keep up the work!

1 Like

Thanks.

I didnā€™t have a chance to do any more with the OT today (it ended up taking FOREVER to figure out a weird sync problem between my capture card and an upscaler I just installed today - for some reason it doesnā€™t capture HD analog video correctly unless I set it to capture RGBHV but send it RGBC - if I actually send it RGBHV when itā€™s set to capture RGBHV the picture is unstable, and if I set it to capture RGBC when Iā€™m sending it RGBC I only get the green channel, but mismatching them works perfectly and I tried just about every possible solution a few times before I stumbled on that), but Iā€™m pretty confident the solution to my problems with the OT controlling r_e_c_u_r will be to lay out a bunch of empty trigless locks in advance and then convert them to trigless trigs on the fly (because in performance itā€™s slightly fewer button presses to do it that way than to add a trig and convert it), with an LFO set to HOLD controlling the playback location. So any time I want to add a randomized jump to a sequence I can convert the relevant step from a trigless lock to a trigless trig, I can convert it back to a trigless lock to clear it, and if I want to send a fixed value all I have to do is plock it on one of the existing trigless locks. Hopefully if Iā€™m not sending any notes at all I wonā€™t flood the MIDI buffer in r_e_c_u_r, since itā€™s not about total quantity so muc as itā€™s about how close together any two messages are recieved.

Anyhow, thatā€™s enough off-topic for this thread.

1 Like

You totally did! thanks for the tip!!

1 Like

I see this thread every day. Have you been convinced yet?

3 Likes

As someone who is still very much an OT novice (purchased in March) I found something that has helped me quite a lot so far is removing it from my setup and using it to create a whole track on its own.

Of course a big reason a lot of people buy one is because of how it will fit into their setup and how it plays with other gear. However thereā€™s a lot of value in just sitting down with only the OT in front of you and allowing yourself the time to understand its workflow as an individual instrument.

Maybe this is quite a basic point to make but I feel a lot of people probably put it straight into their existing setups and then perhaps get a bit lost and frustrated this way. I definitely did this, and Iā€™m getting on a fair bit better by having the odd Octa only session, even if nothing comes of it musically I feel like Iā€™m understanding it more. Learning something new is often just as gratifying as creating something new.

12 Likes

ā€¦yesā€¦itā€™s always a wise decision to find out about the deep ones, like ot and a4, separated from everything else, stand alone, for the first period of timeā€¦

2 Likes