Controlling Soft Knobs via MIDI CC with Elektron Digitakt

The Digitakt’s MIDI track plays notes on the Virus (TI2 Polar), but I also want to control a Soft Knob with the Digitakt’s parameter locks. I have the Soft Knob assigned to Controller 3 in the mod matrix, but it seems like I’m missing something setting it up on the MIDI track in the Digitakt (I’m wondering if what I’m trying to do is possible). Does anyone have any experience with this?

When you say soft knob and matrix are you referring to the Virus or the DT?

On the DT you need to assign what CC# is being sent by a chosen knob and then the amount.

I can’t recall at the moment what page sets what but on check the different pages (src , trig, etc).

The manual also talks about this.

1 Like

I’ve never used a Virus but, if I understand the documentation correctly, a Soft Knob is a physical control that can be assigned to various messages to vary their values. Therefore you cannot send MIDI messages from a sequencer to control the Soft Knob but you can send MIDI messages to control the value that you want to adjust. In this case, it’s probably MIDI CC 3.

Hopefully a Virus owner can post to confirm the details.

On the DT, set one of the knobs on the AMP page (CC select) to control CC 3, and then use the corresponding knob on the FLTR page (CC value) to set the value.

Thanks for your response on this topic.

Yes, the Soft Knob is user programmable and allows the adjustment of multiple parameters with just one knob. I have assigned CC3 to one of the knobs and was hoping to be able use that with the sequencer in the Digitakt. Parameter locking the individual controls was my Plan B.

I posted the same topic on the Access Virus User Forum first and as of this moment 66 people have viewed the post, but nobody has made a response.

Did you try it?

I’m currently waiting to see if I can get some information from the Virus user forum. I have already created a test sequence in the Digitakt that plays notes on the Virus and parameter locks a note change. I assumed that targeting standard synth controls like filter cutoff, resonance, etc. wouldn’t be a problem. I hope my assumption is correct.

Thanks again for your response on this topic.

1 Like

I finally got it working and thought it would be good to share it with everyone. I tried it with Pitch Bend on the SRC page which is actually the most logical since Pitch Bend is a bi-polar control and all the modulation targets in the Virus Modulation Matrix have bi-polar slider controls. In the Virus Mod Matrix I selected Pitch Bend for the modulation source. On the Digitakt, I couldn’t get it to work at all with the controls on the FLTR or AMP pages.
Thanks to everyone for your time.
Cheers