Controlling OT using Korg nanoKontrol (no computer needed)

Hi! I wanted to share my experience using Korg nanoKontrol2 with OT via Arduino and USB Host shield. You can see an online tutorial here or download it in the link below.
Sorry if it’s not too detailed. Hope it helps anyway. If you have any doubts or comments, just reply in here. Thanks!
NANOKONTROLOCTACTRACK.pdf (1.1 MB)

6 Likes

Cool. Thanks for sharing, I’ll come back to this one in slow time, I really want to have a very cheap hosting option. I’ve picked up an axoloti in the meantime, setting that to host is a breeze and it already has DIN MIDI - so handy, so easy, but that’s just a very basic utilisation of its potential

3 Likes

You’re controlling the OT from Axoloti?

Not quite - but that would be quite easy. The axoloti comment was more centred around the ability to have a connection between any USB class compliant midi devices and any other DIN midi device. Much slicker/faster than on my much cheaper Raspberry Pi and less spendy than something ‘proper’ like a Kenton Host. I was hoping OP would share his findings so we could have a thread about hosting devices for DIYers and such

3 Likes

At first: THX a lot for this tutorial - its super easy and super helpful.

But still I can´t get it to work :slight_smile:

I have almost completely the same setup as you have but a different USB-Host-Shield.
(One from Robotale).
My problem is that the Nano Kontrol2 doesnt get any power from the shield itself but if I directly plug the Nanokontrol into my laptop it does work.
I tried both - powering the UNO from USB and also by a 9V plug.

Any suggestions out there?

Also I really like your colorful electronics! Looks great man!

hi! not really sure what to tell you. I power my UNO with a 9V power supply (1,5A) with no issues at all. How much current is your plug supplying? If it´s 1Amp or more, then i should say that it has something to do with your shield. If you have a tester, maybe you can follow the 5V pin in the USB female connector to see if it connects directly to the arduino or not…
Not sure if im being helpful but i dont have any other ideas.
regards and thanks for your comments!

…anybody who could lead me to something like this, same same but different…with an akai mpd32 controler talking to the ot…?

Maybe. What do you want to control on OT?
What kind of midi messages can you send with your MPD32?
Check OT’s Appendix C manual, and all available parameters, notes, or CChanges.

Since I see this thread pop up, might as well try: did anyone manage to send sequencer start/stop messages from the NanoKontrol ? According to the manual, it is only possible to control via note messages which are not available in the NanoKontrol, am I missing something ? The guide above doesn’t address that issue…

The MPD32 has a 5-pin-DIN MIDI Out port, so you don’t need the hardware described in this project. All you need to do is set up the MIDI CC messages that you want on each of the MPD32’s controls in Edit Mode and connect it to the OT.

1 Like

…that’s good news…thanx.

…but…puh…in this biz since ages…and this mission is goin’ to lead me deep into the cc jungle for the very first time…

Beware with CC, it’s addictive! :smile:

5 Likes