Controlling Model Cycles with Faderfox PC4

Hi all!

I recently acquired a Faderfox PC4 to control parameters on my drum machines and synths. I have been able to set it up with my TR8 and TB3 via the MIDI learn function on the PC4, however am having trouble setting it up with my elektron model cycles. I have tried the same steps that I used on the TR8 and TB3 but it doesn’t seem to be working… I briefly had it set up via USB with Logic Pro however when I put in for example CC:80 (Decay) for T1, it would do decay for T1-T6! So would love if I could set this up via MIDI cables rather than USB.

The only thing I’ve seen online is that the fader fox PC4 takes Type B MIDI so do I need a TRS 3.5mm A>B conversion cable?

If anyone can provide me with a step by step guide, or help me trouble shoot this that would be amazing!

So, to confirm, you’re trying to do this by having the Faderfox ‘learn’ the M:C ?

1 Like

A couple of things:

The Model:Cycles MIDI in and out ports can (somewhat exceptionally) speak both type A and B, you change this in the MIDI menu.
And of course for MIDI Learn, you need both in and out connected… :slight_smile:

For the problem with one CC controlling all, look into what MIDI channels are set for each track, in the MIDI menu. Sounds like they were all set on the same channel.
For Faderfox, you want your first knob to send (e.g.) CC 80 on channel 1 for track 1 decay, the next on channel 2 for track 2, not use the Auto channel (which is more useful for keyboard).

2 Likes

Are you maybe sending those CCs to all MIDI channels at once?

2 Likes

Yes I’d like to control a few different parameters of the model cycles on the fader fox PC4 :slight_smile:

ahh okay I only had one in and out connected! Hopefully that fixes the problem! I’ll have to purchase some more MIDI -> MIDI 3.5m adapters as I only have 3 total. Thank you very much for this info, will let you know if it works!

The trouble I was having is that everytime I changed one midi channel or CC parameter it would automatically change all 6 (T1-6) channels as well. Will have another attempt at it tonight :slight_smile: