Controlling Digitakt with Two Midi Controllers?

Hi everyone. I suspect someone here can answer this pretty quickly (thanks in advance). Digitakt only has one Midi In, but I’d like to sequence it with Torso T-1 AND use a Faderfox EC4 to adjust parameters on the fly. How best to control Digitakt with two midi controllers at once? Do I need a midi merger or something like that? Many thanks.

Yes, you need a midi merger. Unless you can feed the Faderfox into the Torso and then go out into the DT. But i don’t know if that works. Probably not.

2 Likes

This should work just fine. You can run the T-1 into the EC4 and it will send both device’s data through the MIDI output. I don’t know if the T-1 can also merge, I would have thought so but I’d check the manual. Given that the T-1 will be sending the most messages I think it would be desirable to have that go directly to the DT in the chain to avoid any bottlenecking issues, but it may not matter much either way.

I have a FaderFox UC4 and that merges incoming MIDI to the output no problem, I would assume the EC4 is the same.

If you want to expand your setup in the future I can highly recommend getting a Blokas Midihub. A better and more versatile investment than getting multiple MIDI merge/thru boxes if it comes to that.

7 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Oh one thing to mention about the cables here is that the EC4 uses TRS MIDI type B whereas I think the Torso uses type A. This means that if you want to use a 3.5mm jack cable to connect them you’ll need to either make one (easy if you can solder) or buy a cable that swaps the pinout. Or just use any supplied adapters with a standard DIN MIDI cable and that should work too.

https://minimidi.world/ - this page briefly explains type A/B.

2 Likes

Might actually be possible with just the Torso if you connect the Fadergox to the Torso midi in and route it through an FX track. Have never tried that with CC (could be notes only), but it’s worth checking before buying more gear.

As long as you can set one device to pass midi input to the out, should work fine.

I use a midi router mrcc with a faderfox uc4 and midi fighter twister and launchpad mini

1 Like

Thank you. I actually have the MRCC and love it – but I thought it only lets me use one input at a time, not two. Time to dig into its manual!

1 Like

Hm, manual didn’t help. MRCC manual does indicate that MRCC can merge midi such that two controllers can send midi to a single output, but I’m only able to select one input source at a time (on the MRCC). Any tips/advice? Thanks much.

1 Like

I use all my controllers merge at the same time on my rig. you have to choose what and how each box is set it.do different presets on the mrcc. dig the manual the forums.

I can confirm that Torso to Faderfox PC4 to Digitakt (in that order, midi-chain wise) works beautifully, but you’ll need a TRS Type B midi cables going in and out of the Faderfox. The PC4 merges the midi info just fine—notes from the Torso + CC from the Faderfox. You’ll just need to set the midi routing on the PC4 by going to setup mode, holding the left shift key and turning knob 18 all the way to the right (yellow LED will blink). Access to more Digitakt parameters with knobs is super fun to perform with! Although now I want a PC12!

2 Likes

Thank you!