Controlling 4 Tracks separately question

Hi,

My setup goes like this -

Ableton Live - 4 midi tracks, each sending midi to the digitone on tracks 1,2,3,4 respectively.

Digitone - In the midi settings - Track 1 - Channel 1, Track 2 = Channel 2, Track 3 = Channel 3, track 4 = Channel 4

My digitone is connect to my mac via USB and i have a generic midi keyboard plugged in to the Midi IN on the digitone.

So, this is how i work -

I create a midi clip in ableton on channel 1, that is now playing track 1 on the digitone, then i arm the second track in ableton, track 2, now on the digitone i change auto channel to 2, then go to the browser and cycle through some sounds while playing the keyboard - the problem is is that it’s still triggering track 1 in the digitone - albeit it doesn’t trigger it fully, it just seems like it triggers a low bass sound from it.

Any ideas why that is?

It’s always channel 1 - when i do the same for tracks 3 and 4 - everytime i press the keyboard not only does that track play but channel 1 too.

I hope i’ve explained that ok, it’s a complex setup i guess.

Thanks for any help and advice, been reading the manual and testing but just can’t figure this one out.

Thanks

2 Likes

Exact same problem here. Has anyone managed to figure this out?

Have you tried setting the DN Autochannel to 10 and select Midi channel 10 on your keyboard? Leave DN tracks 1 to 4 as Midi channels 1 to 4.

Now when you select one of the four tracks on DN the keyboard should automatically play that track.

I solved it.

What i do is change the auto channel setting in digitone. If you’re on track 2 in the digitone, then set auto channel to 2, if you then move to track 4 say, then you change the auto channel to track 4.

And finally if you have all 4 tracks playing midi from ableton, and you want to move between tracks to adjust parameters, then you set the auto channel to 5 or above and you can then adjust anything without interference.

1 Like

lmk if u need more info or help

It doesn’t work for me.
I have 2 track on the digitone, 1 and 2.
In the digitone the setting are Channel 1, for track 1, Channel 2 for track 2.
Auto Channel Is 10.
In ableton, two tracks Channel 1 and 2.
It doesn’t work, keep playing the same track, 1.
I don’t know why…Any idea? Digitone it’s connected via USB overbridge.
I thought that Digitone it’s a great synth, but fuck the hell, about midi integration with ableton it’s a total pain!Come on Elektron!

It works perfectly for me, sorry to say but it’s user error that is the problem.
Maybe you have the record button activate on wrong or wrong in or auto settings etc
Took me a while to understand it myself

If midi is set to 1,2,3,4 channels and auto channel is on 10. They are on separate channels
The problem is in ableton

1 Like

Right, I’ll investigated more on next days…for now, thanks for your advice!I’ll keep you in touch.Thanks :blush::blush:

1 Like

it works, trust me, i have it perfectly working for a long time now.

I’m not sure about over bridge, i don’t use that.

It does take some messing around and testing to figure it out i must admit.

I think this will help you - Make sure in ableton you are using ‘external audio device’ for each digitone track, and set each one to a different midi channel, so track 1 to midi channel 1 etc etc…

1 Like

Yes, it’ extacly what I tried. And It works, but with overbridge nothing…It doesn’t works.
By the way, thanks for your contribution! So happy to see how many nice pleople are on this forum!Thanks!