Controller Akai MPD232 for Digitone & Digitakt

Hi people,

What do you think this Akai for control the digitakt with pads and part of faders & knobs and in the same scene the digitone? or change de scene and 1 whole for digitone and other scene for digitakt…

Akai MPD 232

Someone try this?

The best for all,
Lucare

It’d be cool to use the pads for mutes, faders for amp and filter envelopes, and knobs for filter, resonance, overdrive, bit reduction, delay and reverb send, and a few others. Looks rad.

Yes also de pads for rec the drums (more organic) coz de velocity, and maybe the fader drive gains 4 channels for drums (kick, snare, cymbals, toms) and the other 4 for 4 channels on digitone

hello,
I have the MPD226 with the Digitakt. It work well for fingerdrumming with velocity sensitive. Also the 4 pad bank allow to make some chromatic note scale to create bassline or lead. I don’t use very much fader and knobs but maybe for a live set this can be usefull.
But, with the experience, I don’t recommand it. It’s a big piece of gear (take lot of space on the desk and capture dust). It’s add you 2 cables (midi and power) for a little feature. I prefere use the machine as standalone with his capability and restriction. My MPD went back in his box atm.
I find the MPD more usefull with a DAW.

3 Likes

Previously on Elektronauts:

4 Likes

Hi Peter!

When did I say that? I’ve not owned an Octatrack for several years now! I never did get around to buying one of those Akai controllers.

Thanks Blaize

This was the answer I was looking for. If it is big and in reality I am only interested in the pads to be able to make the drums more “organic” but it is too much for that alone. What I saw is the MPD226 which would be the smallest version … I’ll see how about that one.

I use the MPD226 with my DT. I do have presets I made with all the 4 banks of pads & 3 banks of knobs and sliders are assigned to different functions on the DT. But honestly, 99% of the time I just use it for the pads, because they are easier to play than the DT buttons, and are velocity sensitive. The other things I do use are the Note Repeat function (in combination with the Time Division button) to create ratchets/rolls, and the 16 Level mode. The screen is almost useless as I create presets and parameters via the MPD app, but in case you need to edit on the fly it is there. IT can run on USB power or regular so thats nice. Like all of my MPCs I have owned, I put a set of MPC Stuff fat pads in it for that extra nice feel. It comes with fatter pads than older models, but I prefer the feel of the fat pads personally.

It plays really well with a DAW too, so it works for both in and out of the box setups.

Good luck.

2 Likes

If you want the responsiveness of the velocity sensitive pads but don’t need all the faders and the screen, you can also use one of the smaller MPD models. They all have the same pads now. No MIDI out except through usb but you can get something like the Mode Machines Cerebel and connect it that way. I do this with my DT and a Novation controller.

Cheers!

1 Like

I’ve looked at, but not yet tried the Keith McMillan QuNeo…
seems like a great controller with a very small footprint…
anyone?

Its nice this one, but dont have in and out midi pin…

yeah i noticed that it needs to use their “expander” to DIN midi.
“usb out only” is an issue with the smaller MPD controllers too
if not, the MPC Element work cuz it’s pretty much just pads.

another option is the Midi Fighter devices, but yet again USB out only.

for those devices that are USB, i would think you can bypass this if you run thru thru a DAW and then to the DT, and it will work fine, but if it needs DIN and has to be standalone, those wont work.

hopefully you can find something that fits your setup.

1 Like

For those using the MPD226, have you had any luck sending the clock to it from the digitakt? I got it set up with the pads and faders and it works great, but I can’t seem to get any clock signal to it via DIN midi (really just to sync up note repeat as far as I can tell). I changed the clock source on the MPD to external, and confirmed the DT was sending clock out, but no luck.

Yes I have the clock sending to mine from the DT successfully. As you said, this is mostly used for the note repeat function. This works even with my MPD at the end of the chain of other devices…

MIDI Path: Digitakt OUT > Grandmother > EFX-500 > MicroFreak > MPD226 > Digitakt IN

Here are my settings, hope they can help.

MPD226
GLOBAL
CLOCK - EXTERNAL

DIGITAKT
SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > SYNC
DT Clock Send - ENABLED

SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG
OUT Port Function - MIDI
THRU Port Function - MIDI
INPUT FROM - MIDI
OUTPUT TO - MIDI
OUTPUT CH - AUTO CH
ENCODER DEST -INT+EXT
TRIG KEY DEST - INT+EXT
MUTE DEST - INT+EXT
RECEIVE NOTES - ENABLED
RECEIVE CC/NRPN - ENABLED

3 Likes

With Akai stuff you might wanna double check you can actually map the parameters to different channels. My lpd8 doesn’t, and neither did my mpk2 if I recall correctly. It might well do considering it’s higher range, but jus sayin

Confirming that on the MPD226 you can! Diff midi channel for every button, thru all diff pad and cntrl banks… If anyone is interested I would be happy to share my DT template. You can setup diff banks to do different things within the DT. I’m sure you will want/need to tweak to your own tastes and setup, but it might be a place to start. Hit me up if interested and I’ll dig em up.

1 Like

It’ll werk :+1:t6:

Not sure what I was doing wrong but I tried your settings and it worked, much appreciated!

glad it worked out for ya! have fun.

Thanks to all, i will buy the mpd i think!

the best for all,
Luciano