Control perf amout via midi cc AR1

i don’t understand because in his 1srt post Noisebuddy says that he use the Electra.one midi controller for exact this via USB…

USB midi controller need an usb host. A computer that’s running your DAW for example. The Analog Rytm needs one for usb midi and the Launchpad also does.
That’s just how usb works. There are usb devices and usb hosts. Usb devices need an usb host.
If you wanted to connect an usb midi controller directly to midi hardware, you can use a usb midi host converter like the Kenton USB Midi Host.
There are also cheaper alternatives.
From this device you go via 5 Pin midi cable into your AR.

Fortunately most gear released these days has din midi in/outs again, many even in/out/thru which kinda went out of fashion almost for a brief period.

Btw, I checked with my OT, you don’t use the autochannel for controlling performances and scenes, AR has its own performance channel ofc, similar to A4/AK.

3 Likes

Because the elektra one is also a midi usb host. You would have USB midi sources come into the elektra one and then out to elektron devices via the 5 pin out on the elektra one.

2 Likes

We might guess that you arent going to get an elektra one. So your cheaper path is as schmork suggests:

All your usb midi gear -> kenton usb midi host (or similar) usb ins

Kenton 5 pin midi out-> elektron boxes

1 Like

ok i understand i will do that

1 Like

Op has a computer involved and won’t need extra gear to make it possible. Just route midi through your daw to the machines… maybe do a sketch and plan what you want to achive and come back with specific questions and learn more about it in this process

Also you can control rytm perf with a4, and vice versa, since the share the same cc/nprn, even without extra hardware or computer:

any tutorial/video/thread about this?
thanks

1 Like

Yeah, of course you can use your computer/daw if you have a midi interface or audio interface with built in midi interface. Your computer is an usb host.
You just route the controller through a midi track in your daw, set midi output to the AR (the midi output your AR is connected to). Send on the midi channel that is selected for performance in the AR (project menu -> midi -> channels -> scroll down to performance.

Do you have all that? Which daw do you use?

Or you can connect A4 to AR and make sure both have performance set to the same midi channel.
Also make sure the knobs are set up to output CC (also project menu -> midi).

4 Likes

i have ableton, i’l try this :slight_smile:

Also the link to my video should work now again… it is in this thread too

1 Like

Just for emphasis, op can only do this if their audio interface has 5pin midi out……

EDIT: not true; see below.

No, you can use all the midi functionality via usb midi.

So rytm send midi via usb midi and daw routes it to the a4 for example…

2 Likes

So ive been officially fired by elektron…… sorry for making life hard @olniourk

Am i right good people that this used to not be an option? It came with last big OS update? Just trying to feel only slightly silly.

But still theres the necessity for a computer in nionmu’s example because usb B male to male will not work i assume?

Why would you need a computer?
Any device that can send MIDI over USB should be sufficient

Yes, either a usb host/converter inbetween or going directly from din midi to din midi.

2 Likes

No, sorry, this (midi via usb) works since several years :sweat_smile:

Usb audio was on a recent update… but not for rytm and a4 mk1 devices

2 Likes

Sorry, i edited to say that in nionmu’s example, theres still a need for a computer i do believe.

Although i have not tried it, i dont think you can plug together via usb a rytm and an A4 using the very odd usb B male to usb B male cable, for example.

And if thats obvious to most, i think the op wanted to go straight usb cable out of usb midi device into rytm usb. So we were trying to give op these other ideas. Conversely ive missed the punchline the entire time:).

Duh sorry. Ive been sending clock to rytm since i got it. My minds slippin!

No (yes), definetely not, scroll up a bit an read @Schnork s post. You need a usb host, which the elektron devices are not.

You can simply use din midi however

2 Likes

Yes so i and schmork have been emphasizing to op that he cannot just go usb from his gear into rytm:)…. But then i had to go too far:)

1 Like

I sequenced an RD-8 from a new gen MPC via USB. It should be able to sequence the Rytm as well?

But I guess the MPCs are perhaps more like a “computer” in this sense…