Control perf amout via midi cc AR1

hi there,

i bought an AR1 (i do not have the money for the AR2) but i wonder if it would be possible to control the amout of perf (like the quick perf knob in AR2) via MIDI with other external gear (like A4 or sequencer like ableton, cirklon…)
i find that pushing pads to control perf amout is difficult to manage.

thanks

1 Like

It’s possible… therefore I use the Electra.one midi controller for exact this via USB

It will open up a new dimension or even smooth transitions for someone who likes to play sets

The electra.one has 12 knobs (endless encoder) for 12 performance pads on the AR

3 Likes

thanks a lot :slight_smile: i will try

so with 12 knobs you are be able to control the amount of the different perf amount of different perf at the same time ?
like you turn perf 1 knob at 15% while you turn the perf 6 at 100%?

Yes that’s possible as long as you don’t have conflicting modulation targets … for example on pad1 basedrum pitch and on pad7 basedrum pitch as well…

it still works of course but a bit useless

also keep in mind that the assigned targets to a pad are limited… I don’t remember the exact numbers right now

But wisley used it will open up a completely new territory for a jam

Just think about mute mode on the one hand and performance pads used via the encoders on the controller

I must admit that I didn’t program the scene pads till now but I guess it will be possible either as a pad on the midi-controllers display or the touch sensitive encoders

1 Like

whaou… but… it’s really wonderful.
the 12 perf are easy to program?
can i find it in midi chart manual?

anyway thanks a lot man you made my day!!!

but how do you plug USB if you control the AR via usb, usualy you have a cable like this:

but imputs USB MIDI are both square usb on AR and for ex Electra One isn’t it? is it a special cable?

programming the controller needs some work but it is to some degree self-explanatory buy using the web-app from electra and there is always a friendly community to assist

you will find the midi-chart in the latest manual but be aware there is a false CC documented … don’t remember it exactly but it must PAD6 or 7

tomorrow i’ve put he correct CCs here

but you can use all other controllers like the midifighter twister or the faderfox or else

and yes this are the cables needed :thup:

It’s actually quite easy. I control performance macros from my BCR2000 and from my OT which also gives me lfo control over macros.

IIRC you send those CC on the autochannel, very easy to test, though. :slight_smile:
Edit, no Rytm has its own performance midi channel of course!

And with CC92 you can scroll through the 12 scenes (0 is no scene active and the next 12 values are scenes 1-12).

4 Likes

OK i’ll try with my novation midi launch control XL
problem is that both units have the square usb output so i bought an adaptator and we will see, anyway thanks a lot both of you for the infos :slight_smile:

The AR usb is NOT for midi. So either you have midi controllers that have pin/din midi out or you need a USB midi to din midi converter.

1 Like

arf so how can i send also midi clock to the AR then?

i have also a A4 mk2 at home.
my config is Ableton (master) + A4 + AR
what should the strategy?

i don’t understand because in his 1srt post Noisebuddy says that he use the Electra.one midi controller for exact this via USB…

USB midi controller need an usb host. A computer that’s running your DAW for example. The Analog Rytm needs one for usb midi and the Launchpad also does.
That’s just how usb works. There are usb devices and usb hosts. Usb devices need an usb host.
If you wanted to connect an usb midi controller directly to midi hardware, you can use a usb midi host converter like the Kenton USB Midi Host.
There are also cheaper alternatives.
From this device you go via 5 Pin midi cable into your AR.

Fortunately most gear released these days has din midi in/outs again, many even in/out/thru which kinda went out of fashion almost for a brief period.

Btw, I checked with my OT, you don’t use the autochannel for controlling performances and scenes, AR has its own performance channel ofc, similar to A4/AK.

3 Likes

Because the elektra one is also a midi usb host. You would have USB midi sources come into the elektra one and then out to elektron devices via the 5 pin out on the elektra one.

2 Likes

We might guess that you arent going to get an elektra one. So your cheaper path is as schmork suggests:

All your usb midi gear -> kenton usb midi host (or similar) usb ins

Kenton 5 pin midi out-> elektron boxes

1 Like

ok i understand i will do that

1 Like

Op has a computer involved and won’t need extra gear to make it possible. Just route midi through your daw to the machines… maybe do a sketch and plan what you want to achive and come back with specific questions and learn more about it in this process

Also you can control rytm perf with a4, and vice versa, since the share the same cc/nprn, even without extra hardware or computer:

any tutorial/video/thread about this?
thanks

1 Like