Connection issue: edirol pcr 30 as midi keyboard for digitakt

Hi,

I’m trying to connect my old edirol pcr 30 to digitakt as a midi controller.

I connected my keyboard’s midi out to digitakt’s midi in via a midi cable and did the settings on digitakt but nothing…

I tried to connect the keyboard via transfer app, I see the keyboard on the available devices but it does not connect.

On the midi in section there are:

2-PCR MIDI IN
2-PCR1
2-PCR2
ELEKTRON DIGITAKT

On the midi out section there are:

Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
2-PCR MIDI OUT
2-PCR
ELEKTRON DIGITAKT

I tried all combinations but no way.

What am I doing wrong? Please help!

What is it you’re wanting to use Transfer for?

Did you do them correctly though?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

You are correct that you do have the option to use either MIDI cables or USB via your computer to connect the PCR-30 to the Digitakt.

If you use the USB route then you will need an application to route the MIDI messages from one device to the other. The Transfer application cannot do that.

If you use MIDI cables then there are a number of settings for you to verify:

Connections:

Use a working MIDI cable to connect the MIDI Out of the PCR to the MIDI In of the DT.

On the DT:

In the SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG menu:

• set INPUT FROM to “MIDI”;
  • activate RECEIVE NOTES.

In the SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > CHANNELS menu, make a note of the number set for AUTO CHANNEL.

On the PCR:

Set the MIDI transmit channel number to match the DT’s AUTO CHANNEL number.

If you now select an audio track on the DT, you should be able to play the DT’s sounds from the PCR. You may need to adjust the Octave -/+ buttons on the PCR to find the playable range of the DT.

Give that a try and let us know if it works. If it doesn’t, we can check through set-by-step in case there’s a problem.

2 Likes

Good luck, this was my first midi controller back in the day, a fully featured unit for it’s time!

1 Like

Hey thanks a lot for the detailed reply, I did this all but it still does not work :pensive:

I thought there may be an issue with the midi cable and tried to connect it through usb with the overbridge/digitakt software, the channels are recognized but nothing happens…

The keyboard is working fine with some virtual piano softwares while connected to my pc via usb.

Is there any other way to make this happen?

Thanks! :pray: :pray:

There is no reason why this method should not work. If you want, check again and post the relevant settings here.

How are you powering the PCR-30?

Yes, as noted previously you can send MIDI over USB via a USB host such as a computer.

In that case, you need to connect both PCR-30 and DT to the computer via USB. Then use an application that can route MIDI data. Examples would be DAWs (even free versions, I expect) or an application specifically designed to route the MIDI messages. Which computer operating system are you using?

On the DT, you would need to set differently from my previous post:

• in the SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG menu, set INPUT FROM to “USB”;
  • in the SETTINGS > SYSTEM > USB CONFIG menu, activate USB MIDI.

Solved :man_cartwheeling: I was powering the keyboard via usb, I got a power adapter and it works like a charm! Thanks a lot for the tip!!! :pray: :pray:

1 Like