Connecting synths to Digitakt

Still a noob, I dont get how people get to connect so many machines together and work perfectly.
in the manual, it says should you wish to use a synth and digitakt, that both outputs of the machine should be sent to a mixer. does this mean there is no way to only connect the digitakt to my Audio interface and make it “act” like a mixer? while I connect other sources only through MIDI?

When jamming, I usually use the two inputs of the Digitakt to hear up to two of the external synths (or more if I can cascade them).

You’ll lose the stereo image but it works. Another way is using a small mixing table or an audio interface that can be used as such.

MIDI is only for sending and receiving control signals such as note messages and clock timings, not audio. There is a stereo audio input on the digitakt so you can input 1 stereo signal into it or 2 mono signals if you chose to. People who have several synthesizers need a mixer to take care of the audio. I have a takt and tone, I input the takt audio into the tone input and just take the audio from the tone into my mixer.

1 Like

do you use the input to record as a direct? or do you play on the synths “live” ?

thanks for the input. But why not the other way around? Tone into takt?

because the digitone passes through a stereo signal and the diigitakt passes through a mono signal.

1 Like

I usually play the synths live, I rarely record stuff.
I go Digitakt into Analog 4 MKII (same as Digitone if you wish) when I play two synths, so I can keep the stereo image.

Again, As I recommended to another with similar ‘issues’…

We’ve no idea of your setup so why not sketch it out with an idea of what controls what etc.

Would make it much easier to understand…

Second hand mixers and FX are dirt cheap now or stuff the sigs into your audio interface and use VST’s

Str.

You’re right. At this stage in time though I have no major set up. I am trying to understand the logic of things. I have a DT and an Arturia minibrute. and with those two already, I do not understand the mechanism of MIDI and Audio.

The end objective is to have something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyFY0o44DK8 or atleast to understand the set up and why its working. And then take it to something even more complex in due time

midi = note information, on/off, pitch, velocity amongst other things, its digital info, NO sound

Audio = sound, generated by the midi info.

So the midi sends digital info to the ‘Sound engine’ aka Synth, the synth then makes the SOUND.

MIDI = CONTROL

SOUND = RESULT!

Simple eh!

Str

Basically MIDI is a set of instructions for the machine on how to make sounds the user desires. If I have a midi keyboard connected to a synth and I press the C Major key, I am telling the synth to produce its sound of the C Major key.

That’s what I said!

1 Like

Well you can’t hog all of the teaching spotlight :kissing_heart:

thanks guys. Appreciated!
first order of business - go buy more audio cables, midi cables, and a mixer!

If funds allow get as many analogue ins as poss, min 6! Digi i/o useful too very handy for FX loop.
Beringer do dirt cheap stuff and it’s getting better too. Get a midi splitter so you don’t have to chain midi from one synth to another (U can chain 2/3 max). Keep it simple and build it up slowly do u understand what does what

Good Luck and have fun!

Str.

@stretchyman
I have a MOTU UltraLite Mk3.
It has Digital I/O. Can I use this as a send/return for my FX pedal?

Yes of course it’s just i/o!

Thanks a lot for the quick feedback :slight_smile:
Much appreciated.
That means I could use it for any type of extra I/O?

Audio in audio out, it’s that simple.

That’s all it does as it’s an audio mixer, nothing more!

1 Like

Do you need to adjust some settings to the Digitakt to hear the audio from the audio input in the Digitakt?

I want to hear the sounds from my Behringer Crave via my Digitakt.