Confused on which Beyerdynamic Headphones to get

Hope this is not too off-topic, but does anyone know what kind of headphone amplifier does SSL2 interface has built in? I run my 250 ohm DT990’s with it and I’m quite happy with the result, but I wonder would I gain anything noticeable sound-wise if I got a dedicated headphone amplifier?

1 Like

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a pair of 250 ohm dt880. I have a large head and from what I’ve read the “edition” version has a lighter clamping pressure than the “pro” version so I’m leaning toward those. However they seem to be out of stock everywhere I’ve looked online except for eBay and Amazon (both of which I hear are plagued with clones). Anyone know anywhere in the U.S. that I should look or do I just need to wait for the usual shops to restock?

I’ve used the 250ohm DT990s for ages and never had troubles level-wise. As mentioned before phones are a bit low but I generally don’t use the 990s for those anyway.

I just bought a pair of DT880 250 ohms (but the pro version) from Audio46 in NYC. They have good prices, free shipping, are authorized dealers, and reviews are good on Google and Yelp. I picked up in person; they were nice, and efficient.

1 Like

That shop seems great.
Unfortunately they only have the non-pro version in 600 ohm. How tight do the pros feel to you?

When I first put them on, they felt more firm against the top of my head than the Sony MDR-7506s I’ve had for ages, but not uncomfortable, just different. (The cover on the headband unsnaps and comes off completely so some DIY modding might be possible.) In terms of force against the sides of my head, they feel about the same (the earcups on the DT880 are a bit larger). In a few minutes I got used to them. I thought the coiled cable was important. They are definitely quieter but since part of the point was to help preserve my aging hearing, I don’t mind this.

Thanks for the info!
I was thinking I could modify the headband if necessary. Spring steel is a little tricky to shape but I have tooling for that.
I’m totally with you on the lower volume. I always try to be vigilant about keeping my levels down when working in the cans. I’ve punished my ears enough.

Just be aware I found the 880’s way too low without an amp and had problems sending them back just because I wore them once, shops are very picky about headphones and state if you’ve worn them they won’t have them back , luckily they accepted my return in the end

I’ve heard that quite often while reading reviews. Weirdly people’s take on this seems to be very mixed.
I have a headphone amp that I never use and hope to continue not using but it’s there if I need it. It isn’t exactly nice but it’s pretty clean.
What impedance were the 880s you were using?

1 Like

250ohm very nice headphones but I preferred the level of my cheap Sony’s when I compared them and didn’t have an amp so I sent them back, if I was getting them again I would get a good quality amp to do them justice otherwise you might as well get much cheaper headphones

1 Like

I’m about to buy a DT 990 PRO 80 ohm.
I’m afraid to be short with a 250 ohm (I used a Sennheiser HD565 150 ohm, it was not loud enough sometimes). I may use it with iPad headphones out…

I’m used to my very old Sennheiser HD25, lacking bass now (I heard a newer one with more bass), so I was also hesitating with a DT 770 PRO 80 ohm, I’d use all the time, anywhere.
But for the night mix confort, DT 990 seems better, I’d keep it home, and use HD25 for voice whispering recording, or travel…

Any thought ?
@LyingDalai iirc you have HD25 and DT880 ?

1 Like

My 990’s are the 250Ω, and 770’s are 80Ω, and yeh you have to turn it up for the 990’s, but I find the 770’s make me too happy with the bass end and therefore ignore it till I listen through monitors (8”) and realise there’s too much bass.

I pretty much use the 770’s for watching TV, or when playing my Bass guitar when I have to be really quiet.

1 Like

I use the DT770 Pro’s (80ohm) and DT1770 Pros (250ohm) and think they’re great. I’d prefer open back but my environment isn’t right for it.

I normally have too much gain, rarely not enough - but keep in mind that sometimes an output will be hot enough without having the dynamic range to run the cans properly. It can get a bit complex if you care about that stuff.

I use an amp with my 250’s but my mixer headphone output will be pleanty loud enough for them - it’s more about ensuring they get proper impedance matching (I think that’s the right way of describing it)

2 Likes

I love my 250ohm 880s with everything except the laptop. My MacBook Pro just can’t drive them, and I’m not someone that wants to have my phones particularly loud either.

I can’t decide whether to invest in a lower impedance set of phones or a headphone amplifier for when I’m out with just my laptop.

HD25 and DT990 Pro.
But I don’t use headphones a lot anymore…

…go for their latest series…pro x…700…the closed version…770…the open version…
all their know how in there to find, but with a new low impedance concept that really worx for all kind of headphone amping while still reference level…

only 250 bux for all to whish for…mini xlr conector for exchanging the cable with one solid click…all other essential parts can be easily exchanged, too…both even come with two cables, each with their own mini to big jack adapter, one with 1.5 and the other with 3 meter length…

if u also use them for recording…u better pick the closed ones…if it’s all about reference mixdowns, the open one of course…but for that new pricetag u could even take both models…500 bux and u don’t have think about cans for years and years to come…

the best cans are always those, u know u can trust them, once u really know their way of translation AND to know, that u can wear them still top comfortable in long sessions…

250 ohm ? Very different of course, but how would you compare them with HD25 ?

Will a Tascam DP-24 have enough juice for the DT770s?

I wanted the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 80ohm but the only ones I could find were twice the price of the 250ohm so in the end I gave the 250ohm set a punt.
Compared to 80ohm headsets like the Sennheiser HD 25 which I also use, you do have to turn the volume up a bit but I haven’t struggled for volume from any of my gear.
I was interested to see Fuseballs comment about driving them with a MacBook so I’ve just plugged mine into my 14" MacBook Pro M1, dialled up Hanna Peel’s Particle G1 and cranked it up…f*cking awesome, and the volume went high enough to cause me hearing damage I’m sure :wink:

Just as an aside…am I the only person on this planet that finds the Sennheiser HD 25 the most uncomfortable headset known to man? After 5 minutes wearing the HD25s I’m already wincing in pain…the DT990s I can wear for hours at a time.

2 Likes

I have the 770s for general use and recording, and the 880s (semi open back) for mixing.

1 Like