Confused on which Beyerdynamic Headphones to get

Does anyone have the 250 OHM version and use with digitakt?

Ideally I want something for recording vocals, the digitakt, and for sound design as well.

I honestly think I prefer the open back ones but I don’t know how much sound leak there will be to the microphone?

I have some super tight headphones right now that aren’t even for audio production, anyone have some insight ?

250ohm will require an amp

…beyerdynamic is one of the handful topbrands in headphone know how…
always a good investment for years to come…
but…
be aware that 250 ohm of input impedance makes a not that pretty loud headphone if it does not get fed by a proper headphone amp…
but…
on the other hand, who wants a super loud response for hours, sticking right to their ears…
the better mix comes with a more silent monitoring approach…
but…
if the rear open headphone versions bleed too much into ur mic, depends strongly on the mic u got in use…while even most narrowed angle mics tend to pick up all what’s happening right in front of them…

one universal solution is out of sight…i’m afraid…and a loud, cheaper, closed headphone that fits ultratight, so that u can free one ear maybe even while singing, for better tonal reference, while still keeping all bleed in order, might be a good thought, too…

i, personally, don’t like full open headphones…ar least not so much…
i prefer closed cans…also with a little lower impedance…over a 100 for sure but under 200…so that they can be loud if i want them to, so they easily cancel out any sourroundings while still remaning silent to the outside world…
but without a dedicated cancellation technique built in…
those are only good for consuming all kind of sonic in ur own headspace…
but defenitly not for producing it…

in ur case…i’m guessing here, but the dt’s headphone amp is strong enough to push such a high impedance at least to the edge of proper listening levels…but if u attach it to any kind of laptop, u gonna miss some bang for sure…
such high impedance are a bit like leftovers for the last hifi enthusiasts…
i guess ur better with a hi end model that requires “only” close to 200…and also check on closed cans…some really do the better and way more universal job…

2 Likes

Don’t have a DT but have the 770s. Bought them when they only came in 250ohms so I didn’t even think about it. and they have been great on all equipment - OT, Blofeld, iPhone

I have no other pro headphones to compare them to. But I do the hoovering with them on an iPhone :facepunch:

2 Likes

i have the DT880s in 250 ohm, which are awesome, and are fine with the digitakt, since it has a powerful enough headphone amp. however i can’t use them with my MacBook directly unless i crank the volume up to the max.

they work fine with my SSL2+ though.

they are fantastic sounding headphones though. i’d recommend them.

7 Likes

If you like to do also mixdowns, I recommend the DT 1990 Pro + Sonarworks for Headphones.

all the best from Berlin
Chris

3 Likes

I own DT990s (open back) and DT770s (closed back), which are both 250ohms and they work well impedance-wise with Elektron gear – tested on DT, DN, AR, OT, Models, and AK in the past – and with sound cards. But they’re a bit on the low side directly from a phone or laptop. You will have to have the volume quite high on Elektron boxes compared to lower impedance headphones (I’m currently rocking the 16ohm Audeze LCD-1, for example) but you won’t run out of juice or need to have them on full volume. As for recording vocals, it’s never wise to use open back headphones, so my gf uses the DT770s for this purpose. I always (until using Audeze) preferred the 990s for mixing but 770s do a good job too. It depends how hi-fi your project is in terms of tracking vocals tho. Mine was decidedly lo-fi so I would track vocals with 990s in a pinch but 770s are better here for sure.

9 Likes

+1 to everything in @craig response.

2 Likes

I had the 880’s but found them too quiet with the digitakt so sent them back

1 Like

I am using the 880 which are open back with an OT.

As I am using a soundcard (Babyface Pro) it is enough but without it it would be too quiet.
Openback headphones are IMO better for mixing/sound design since you spend hours with them but i certainly would not use them for recording as their sound is clearly audible from outside and would likely be picked up by a mic.

2 Likes

I’ve not used them, but I thought Beyerdynamic describe the 880s as semi-open back, right? A sort of halfway between 770 and 990? But I’m assuming they’re still very leaky from your description?

FWIW I grabbed the mid rated (80) impedance 990s bc they are my all-arounders. Not just for production.

I have beyer 770dt and beyer 1990, both 250ohm. On the Digitone, the 1990 are lacking the extra punch, but just slightly. Normally I drive them trough the mixer and its fine.

Recording vocal - closed back every time. No way round that.

Have 250ohm open and closed Beyers and both been fine with DT/DN/OT/AR/A4. They’re both Tesla drivers though, so pretty efficient. Could run a headphone amp for proper control but I’ve not felt like they’re lacking on the Elektron’s. Oddly I find I need an amp when using my SSLSiX.

I’m gonna be on the road with nothing but a digitakt and a pair of 880s for the next six weeks :grin: It won’t blow your ears out, but that’s a good thing in my case as I’d rather destroy my hearing with speakers if I have to do it at all (which I do)

Yes indeed they are described as such. I can’t compare with open headphones but the sound is pissing out well enough to be picked by neighbours or microphone.

Edit: i have 250Ohm headphones and they are loud enough when using straight out of the OT (headphones output).

1 Like

No not true, I had DT770Pro 80 ohm gave myself tinitus using them with Rytm Mk1 luckly that got better after I went back to speakers, just bought DT990 Pro 250 ohm still loud enough from Rytm, Allan Heath mixer and WMD performance mixer even my old zoom H2 drives them OK. Just done a comapison test on rytm at exactly the same settings full volume 80ohm 770’s are to loud and a bit distorted compared to 250 ohm 990’s prefer the coiled cable on 990’s. Velorpads on both can get a bit smelly fitted softskins to 770s now they can get a bit sweaty. Hope the 250 ohm protects my ears from myself upping a voice in the mix instead of turning the others down

I record vocals wearing open-back headphones. Any bleed is so minimal, it seems a non-problem to me. Especially since the bleed is from the same track you’re recording. Seems like one of those cases where “ideally…” has become “you CANNOT…”
mind you, I’m a very loud singer. Maybe if I were doing some whispery overcompressed thing into the mic with my DT990s cranked uncomfortably loud, it’d be an issue.

It depends on the volume and nature of the track playing your headphones, the type of mic (a condenser mic or a dynamic) and so on.
If you can achieve what you want with what you have, it’s great but i would certainly not recommend an open set for someone looking for a pair to buy if he wants to record with it.

According that website: Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO vs Beyerdynamic DT 880 Side-by-Side Headphones Comparison - RTINGS.com the 880 seems to bleed significantly more than the 990 (semi open or not :wink: ).

1 Like

I wash mine - not in a machine & just hang up to dry